Stepper Motor Speed Control

Hey all,

I have a project at work that is using an Anaheim Stepper motor model number 34Y108S-LW8 being driven by an Anaheim Stepper motor controller model number MLA10641.

I have the motor wired to the controller in parallel and am providing to the controller from an Arduino uno r3 the clock signal, direction signal, and the on-off signal. The motor uses 200 steps per revolution but I am microsptepping it to 400 steps per revolution.

This is a simple project as all I need are direction and speed. I don't need to count steps. I just need a speed controller that I can change the direction of the motor with as well.
I know there is a better setup to do this by using a DC motor but these are the pieces I was provided with to build this project.

Can you guys help me with controlling this motor? Help with code and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

The speed of a stepper motor is controlled by the interval between steps. Have a look at this Simple Stepper Code and play around with until you understand how things work.

If you need more help please post a link to the datasheets for your stepper motor driver and for your stepper motor.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
AccelStepper library

Please find attached the PDF files for both the motor and the driver.

Brian

34Y Series Spec Sheet.pdf (574 KB)

MLA10641 Users Guide.pdf (1.09 MB)

That stepper driver should work with the code in my examples - have you tried them?

...R

Hi, Brian. Welcome to the Arduino forum!

You wrote "This is a simple project as all I need are direction and speed. I don't need to count steps. I just need a speed controller that I can change the direction of the motor with as well..

But you do need to count the milliseconds between steps so you can add time to slow the motor, or subtract time to speed up the motor.

You also need to stop the motor in order to change direction.

Paul

Just use AccelStepper library - look at setSpeed(), runSpeed()

With setspeed() will I be able to use a potentiometer on an analog input to control the speed?

bhoule62:
With setspeed() will I be able to use a potentiometer on an analog input to control the speed?

Of course, you can use any value you have in your hand, change it at any time, reverse by
reversing the sign, stop by setting it to zero...