Stepper motor Torque problem!

Hi folks!

Currently im using a Nema 24 stepper motor 3.1N.m torque

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nema-24-Stepper-Motor-3-1Nm-3A-8-wire-8mm-Dual-Shaft-CNC-Mill-Lathe-Laser-Router-/171828613085

with an Easydriver stepper motor controller ( 150-750mA/phase) + 24V 5A power supply.

Should i buy a better stepper motor driver since the Easydriver only supply (150-750mA/phase)?

Does the current effect the torque of the Nema 24?

Should i increase the voltage supply to 48V for maximum performance?

Sorry im a newbie with stepper motor and i want my Nema24 run at maximum performance else i have to get another stepper motor, much appreciate if you guys can give me a hint.

You need a stepper driver that can comfortably supply the current required by the motor. A driver for a 3 amp motor will be a lot more expensive than an Easydriver. Google "stepper driver 4 amps" (or 5 amps).

The current is what determines the torque, Higher voltages allow the torque to be maintained at higher speeds.

I am suprised that it is referred to as Nema24. I thought the standard sizes are 17, 23 and 34.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

I am surprised that it is referred to as Nema24. I thought the standard sizes are 17, 23 and 34

Indeed, also new to me.

Checking their website the standard NEMA23 comes with 57x57mm and the NEMA24 with 60x60mm framesize.

Ooh, NEMA 24 is new to me too... Probably a post-rationalization of another motor standard.

Anyway, back to the plot: What are you wanting to do with a motor? Have you any idea about how to choose/size a motor?

Thanks so much for the info guys, i've have bought the new driver + 48V power supply

MarkT: Ooh, NEMA 24 is new to me too... Probably a post-rationalization of another motor standard.

Anyway, back to the plot: What are you wanting to do with a motor? Have you any idea about how to choose/size a motor?

Hi mark, i want to use the motor to move a cigarette injector automatically for my grandpa birthday his a fan of cigarets i have already give him some Cuban cigars last year, so this year i want to make this machine for him since he often mix his own cigarettes from different countries.

Im thinking to connect the shaft straight to the spinning shaft of the machine using a stepper motor coupler.

Im not sure exactly how much torque I need. My plan is to run the NEMA 24 at maximum and if it doesnt work ill buy the NEMA 34.

My plan is to run the NEMA 24 at maximum and if it doesnt work ill buy the NEMA 34.

The NEMA xx specification just gives the size of the faceplate (in 1/10 of an inch), and has little to do with the motor characteristics.

chasingsun: a cigarette injector automatically for my grandpa birthday

I wish your Grandpa a happy birthday but I have no wish to help with anything connected with cigarettes.

...R

jremington: The NEMA xx specification just gives the size of the faceplate (in 1/10 of an inch), and has little to do with the motor characteristics.

Ironically the NEMA specs for motion-control motors have a metric version, but its never used. In that scheme the frame size is the mounting holes diagonal distance, ie something useful if you want to be able to use motors from different manufacturers. There is no standard for the mounting holes in the NEMA17/23/34 series, other than a maximum spacing...

The NEMA frame sizes for industrial motors are, IIRC, the spacing from axis to side-mounting plate/ plane in 1/10th inch.

Im not sure exactly how much torque I need. My plan is to run the NEMA 24 at maximum and if it doesnt work ill buy the NEMA 34.

I would prefer a NEMA 42 ...

My last comment:

Do you have the slightest idea how big a NEMA 34 is? I bet, a NEMA 11 with a gear would do - you don't need speed and a NEMA 11 plus gear would deliver all the torque you need.

As a non-smoker I am also out here.

Yes, this looks like an application where a small gear motor and a hall sensor to count rotations would be quite adequate.

Torque is measurable, learn how to measure it, its very basic physics. You multiply the distance from the rotation axis by the tangential force needed at that distance to move the load.

Double for good measure and select a gear motor.

MarkT: Yes, this looks like an application where a small gear motor and a hall sensor to count rotations would be quite adequate.

Torque is measurable, learn how to measure it, its very basic physics. You multiply the distance from the rotation axis by the tangential force needed at that distance to move the load.

Double for good measure and select a gear motor.

Thanks MarkT, ill try to work it out the torque, ill will update on my progress. Thanks

Robin2: I wish your Grandpa a happy birthday but I have no wish to help with anything connected with cigarettes.

...R

Thanks, anyway im allergic to cigi too. But oh well what can you do? Gift is all about what they want, not what you want to give hahah cheers

rpt007: I would prefer a NEMA 42 ...

My last comment:

Do you have the slightest idea how big a NEMA 34 is? I bet, a NEMA 11 with a gear would do - you don't need speed and a NEMA 11 plus gear would deliver all the torque you need.

As a non-smoker I am also out here.

I have a talk to a friend last week, so he suggest me to used a gear pulley. Attach a small 3D printed gear to the stepper motor then a bigger gear at the cigi injector. Then use a belt. Do you think this would work?

Until you learn to measure and calculate the torque needed, its all guesswork.

Measure the required torque, even roughly, and report back...