Stepper motor voltage question.

I am putting together a stepper motor based system and have a small question about stepper motor voltages and such.

My driver is a Toshiba TB6600 based driver with a specified input voltage of 9-40vdc.
My stepper motors are all NEMA 23 with 1.0A /phase and 5.1V/phase

I have two power supplies that I can use or will buy another.

Power supply #1 is 12V 15A
Power supply #2 is 24V with unknown amperage but more than 15 and used to drive 8 of these steppers through an intricate distribution system. I'm sure there would have been voltage reducers in there somewhere.

The stepper driver only has dip switches to control the amperage of the motor and nothing to set voltage. It also has the type of step but that I have figured out.

I guess the actual question is will my driver reduce the voltage of the stepper as needed or will the stepper handle what's thrown at it as long as I set the amperage correctly?
And which power supply would best suit the stepper driver?

Something else to be considered, I imagine, is the controller seems to want a control signal for some items but those appear to be sent to the driver from the controller and would likely, be 5v like from the arduino.

Any help appreciated.

You just need to set the current through DIP switches.
Remember to keep the current lower than the motor can draw.
Read this article.

I would use Power supply #1 is 12V 15A.

5V from Arduino has to be supplied to at lease direction and pulse (step).
Check this out.

Z

Stepper motors work better with higher voltages - just make sure you stay within the limits of the motor driver.

Your stepper motor will consume about 1.0 * 5.1 = 5.1 watts.

Your 12v 15 amp power supply can provide 180 watts - considerably more than is required.

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

…R

Thanks guys.
Robin, that write up was great. It should be the prequel to "Stepper motors for Dummies" as it's written in simple language that most people can understand. Great job!

Thank you for your kind words.

...R

FWIW I ended up using the bigger power supply.
The one I bought, specifically for this project, was only putting out 2.6V so it's obviously defective.

Hooked up the 24V power supply to the driver, while it was attached to the stepper motor and it held position.

Now I can assemble all the components and start testing.