Stepper motor

Dear All,

I have 2 Stepper Motors (QMot stepper motor1 Amp, 5.3Ohms, 5.3 volts and 200 steps/rev.) , which are connected to the Adafruit shield 2.3v, they are mounted to Arduino Mega, the motors pull generally 2 A from external current from Adafruit. My problem is, they don´t rotate smoothly, clearly and fast at the same time. When I use DOUBLE to define my Stepps, speed is ok but rotation is lout and shaking. When I use MICROSTEP is more smoothly but too much slow. The program is running two stepper motors to roll up optical cables. The cables have to be really precisely come together and accurately be installed on pulley. Also I need a solution to run my Steppers Motors smoothly, clearly and fast. Incidentally, I want to know, do I need BigEasyDriver for that? If you need more info oder fotos feel free to ask

Regards,

Paria

2.4? The version I see when I look at Adafruit's website is 2.3.

While the Adafruit shield is pretty good, I don't see where it has current feedback for the steppers. It won't be as good as a dedicated stepper driver using an A4988 or DRV8825 chip. Those two chips have extremely good control over microstepping and they can regulate the current through the stepper very precisely.

BigEasy would be worse.

For winding up cables you usually want constant-torque, not constant-speed. A normal DC motor would be very good at this. You might consider adding an encoder or a simple RPM counter so that you can count how many rotations you've done.

The BigEasydriver uses A4988s so it should be perfectly OK. However it defaults to microstepping whereas the default for the Pololu A4988 and DRV8825 is single steps.

Using a specialized stepper driver allows you to use much higher voltages for better torque and speed.

Have a look at these links Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

From what others have said I believe the simple stepper code can be modified to give very high step rates to give reasonable speeds with microstepping. However I think you will generally get more torque with single steps.

...R

Paria-Arduino: Dear All,

I have 2 Stepper Motors (QMot stepper motor1 Amp, 5.3Ohms, 5.3 volts and 200 steps/rev.) , which are connected to the Adafruit shield 2.4, they are mounted to Arduino Mega, the motors pull generally 2 A from external current from Adafruit. My problem is, they don´t rotate smoothly, clearly and fast at the same time. When I use DOUBLE to define my Stepps, speed is ok but rotation is lout and shaking. When I use MICROSTEP is more smoothly but too much slow. The program is running two stepper motors to roll up optical cables. The cables have to be really precisely come together and accurately be installed on pulley. Also I need a solution to run my Steppers Motors smoothly, clearly and fast. Incidentally, I want to know, do I need BigEasyDriver for that? If you need more info oder fotos feel free to ask

Regards,

Paria

stepper motors are clunky at low speed. that is why the microsteppng wad designed. as the speed increase, you lose power, and the motors become smoother.

since you said you needed 2 amps, that might be too much for some of the common stepper drivers.

as for the smoothness. the quality of the pulse stream for your steps is the major factor to smooth steps and missed steps. if you are doing anything like serial print, you will have problems. if you use any delay() in the program, you will have problems.

please read how to use this forum, it is a post on the top of every forum, click the post and read #7 abbout how to post code. then post your code.

have you done the match to see how fast you need to run the steppers ?

dave-in-nj: since you said you needed 2 amps, that might be too much for some of the common stepper drivers.

From the Original Post I think it is 1 amp per coil - which is well within the capacity of an A4988.

Of course if the motor does require 2 amps per coil the OP should be using a driver capable of (say) 3 amps per coil.

...R

what voltage are you using on the motor side ?