Stepper Motors and Amps

Can I use the following to for this stepper motor,

-https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-100-240V-Adapter-Converter-5-5x2-1mm/dp/B0865LS8XB?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_10&th=1

My concern is that the power supply outputs 5 amps and the stepper motor driver accepts 4.2 amps.

Good that You have a power supply that is capable of supplying more current then the stepper drive can deliver to the stepper. That is good approach.

What is difficult?

The problem is, more vendors are playing games with specifications these days. So what you get is the rating that occurs under the absolutely most favourable conditions (and sometimes then slightly exaggerated). In the case of a supply, they will try to maximize it to seem better. In the case of a device, they will try to minimize it to seem better.

Thus, although 4.2 is indeed less than 5.0, this may not be the whole story. For example, you might have an installation in a cabinet, and as the supply is generating some waste heat, relies on airflow for cooling. Maybe someone blocks the cabinet door, and now the system is marginal. All is good until a really hot day comes along, and the supply that was bordering on overheating now does so.

Believe me, it happens.

...and it may not be rated as continuous.

aarg:
The problem is, more vendors are playing games with specifications these days. So what you get is the rating that occurs under the absolutely most favourable conditions (and sometimes then slightly exaggerated). In the case of a supply, they will try to maximize it to seem better. In the case of a device, they will try to minimize it to seem better.

Thus, although 4.2 is indeed less than 5.0, this may not be the whole story. For example, you might have an installation in a cabinet, and as the supply is generating some waste heat, relies on airflow for cooling. Maybe someone blocks the cabinet door, and now the system is marginal. All is good until a really hot day comes along, and the supply that was bordering on overheating now does so.

Believe me, it happens.

More vendors...... Could they be Chinese? Much of what they produce "is doing less" then the sails pictures....
Drills don't drill, 250 Amp welders produce 150 Amp.....

More vendors...... Could they be Chinese? Much of what they produce "is doing less" then the sails pictures....
Drills don't drill, 250 Amp welders produce 150 Amp.....

6 horsepower air compressors have 500 Watt motors labeled "Special duty". I LOVE marketers, NOT! >:( >:(

Back when hifi was king, some amps were rated "PMPO" - peak music power output. Usually about 100 times bigger than the RMS continuous power.

JCA34F:
6 horsepower air compressors have 500 Watt motors labeled "Special duty". I LOVE marketers, NOT! >:( >:(

Whow. 1 Hp is 736 Watt.....

50 years ago one subject was French. 1 French Ho was 2 ir more conventional Hps.
Maybe China has similiar, parallell SI units?

Whow. 1 Hp is 736 Watt.....

People finally got wise to that and Lowes, Home Depot and the rest went back to a little more honest advertising.

My memory brought up a rather old piece of news, an announcement from China. Their former leader. Mao Tse Tung, had been swimming in the Yellow river. The distance was D and the time used was T. Making the division, D/T, gave the speed of a family speed boat..
But in China it was accepted as good news I suppose.

namanagarw:
My concern is that the power supply outputs 5 amps and the stepper motor driver accepts 4.2 amps.

Perhaps you are concerned that the power supply may have too many amps and damage the driver?

This is a common misconception. Electric and electronic equipment only draws the current it needs (assuming the voltage is correct). So a 4.2 amp driver can be safely powered from a 100 amp power supply.

Of course it is important to ensure that the power supply can supply enough current - it is always a good idea to have more amps available than are required as it is never a good idea to operate electronic equipment close to its maximum limit. A surplus of 30% or 50% would be a good idea.

Stepper motors and stepper drivers are a bit more complex. You need to know how many watts the motor consumes. The spec for your motor states 4.2 amps and 0.9 ohms which works out at about 16 watts. A 24v power supply would need to provide about 0.67 amps to provide 16 watts. To give a margin of error then double the power requirement and you still only need about 1.3 amps. So your 5 amp power supply will be perfectly adequate.

...R