Stepper power supply choice

I have the following stepper coming soon and need a power supply. I am planning on using an a4988 controller. I have read several articles and forum posts but steppers seem to confuse me about their power supply. The stepper will be turning a table, it will be direct drive and have about 4 pounds in it at anytime. It will only be turning 1/6 of a turn at a time and needs to do that in about a second. Based on what I have read, the more voltage the better with the controllers range. So, I am thinking of a 24volt 1amp supply. Can anyone add some reassurance that this would be a good choice?

Thank you,

Anthony

Model 42BYGH34-0400A
Material Metal
Dimension approx. 42x42x34mm
(Length x Width x Thickness)
Step Angle 1.8°
Rated Voltage 12V
Rated Current 0.4A
Number of phase 2
Resistace Per Phase 30Ω±10%
Rotor Intertia 34g.cm2
Holding Torque 28N.cm
Detent Torque 1.6N.cm

Be sure to use code that can accelerate and decelerate the table motion.

Paul

Use the highest convenient voltage that is within the specs of the A4988. I use a 19v laptop power supply for some similar motors. 24v would be better.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Robin - thank you for the info. I probably have an old laptop supply around. If I decide to buy a power supply, would the 1 amp work?

Thank you,
Anthony

aiannar974:
If I decide to buy a power supply, would the 1 amp work?

That should be plenty but if it was my decision I would get one with more current unless there was a significant difference in the price.

...R