Stepper pulse generator

Hi all, first post, need feasibility advice on a project please.

I need to build a device for my day-job and everyone is telling me to use an arduino, i have never used one of these devices though so know little about them.

The device needs to generate a trapezoidal ramp pulse stream to feed the step input on a large stepper drive.

I need a start / stop input with speed control or just a start input plus duration control, the cycle time is about 30 times a minute and the motor needs to cover a total of maybe 600 steps each cycle (3 shaft revolutions)

Can an arduino do this task?

Would it be hard to design or code?

Is there a working example i could use as i really don't have time to learn a new system just yet?

Many thanks

dave

Post a link to the datasheet for your "large stepper drive"

And please explain what you mean by "trapezoidal ramp pulse stream" because the stepper drivers I know about just take a simple on/off pulse for every step.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Hi,

the stepper drives are just bog-standard CNC drives that take a step/direction input, usually 5v with a pulse of 1us or more, direction is not important here as it will be fixed.

The device needs to generate a three stage output which is used to start the motor slowly then ramp up to running speed for a duration then ramp down to stop, sudden starts and stops result inlets steps on heavy load applications so you have to ramp the step frequency up and down.

I can find a link for the drive but it really is just a 5v step pulse input.

The total pulse count needed includes the two ramps as well.

Davek0974:
The device needs to generate a three stage output which is used to start the motor slowly then ramp up to running speed for a duration then ramp down to stop,

Have a look at the AccelStepper library.

...R

Thanks but looking at that code I can’t see myself getting the hang of it within any usable timeframe, I can handle visual basic but not much more i’m afraid.

I think i will have to find a PLC solution for this job.