Stepper stopped moving

I have been running a stepper for the past year with no problems but now it has stopped moving. It has holding power at power on but when I tell it to move it doesn't do anything. I have double checked that I have continuity from the pin on the controller to the pin on the driver, I have tried a different motor and a different driver to see if that was the problem but still the same no movement.

I tried using the AccelStepper constant speed sketch from the IDE and it works for other PWM pins but the pins I have this motor on (pins 12,13)don't seem to be working anymore. I moved the step and dir wires to 2 other pins(5,6) and the motor moved as coded. I'm kind of out of ideas for what to check next or if pins 12 & 13 are just dead and I need to replace the controller.

For informed help, please read and follow the instructions in the "How to use this forum" post.

Will the pins blink an LED?

ribbonman: I moved the step and dir wires to 2 other pins(5,6) and the motor moved as coded. I'm kind of out of ideas for what to check next or if pins 12 & 13 are just dead and I need to replace the controller.

That sounds as if something has killed those pins.

What stepper motor driver are you using?

...R

Any long cables for those pin 12/13 lines? Could have picked up interference spikes.

outsider: Will the pins blink an LED?

I haven't tried that yet.

Robin2: That sounds as if something has killed those pins.

What stepper motor driver are you using?

...R

I'm using a sainsmart 48V 5A stepper driver set at .2mA. I didn't j know you could just kill 2 pins and still have the controller work, I will try to blink an led on it and see if they are dead and possibly look to interference if not.

MarkT: Any long cables for those pin 12/13 lines? Could have picked up interference spikes.

Cables are less than 3 feet long and are shielded but I will check.

Thanks for the idea's everyone, I will let you know how your suggestions worked out.

ribbonman: I haven't tried that yet.I'm using a sainsmart 48V 5A stepper driver

I am not familiar with that. Please post a link to its datasheet.

...R

I tried blinking an LED on each pin and it turns out pin 12 is in fact dead, I swapped in a new controller and it works as coded.

Robin2 here is a data sheet.data sheet

Thanks

Thanks for the link. That looks like a very normal stepper driver so I have no further comment.

...R

ribbonman:
Cables are less than 3 feet long and are shielded but I will check.

So, yes, long cables(!). You could add some schottky clamps to the signals at the Arduino end
to bolster the pins protection, like: adc - How to make clamping circuit to clamp exactly at 3.3 volts - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange, except use 100 ohm, for 3.3V read “Vcc”, for “ADC” read “Arduino pin” and definitely schottky diodes, zeners would be useless here.

MarkT: So, yes, long cables(!). You could add some schottky clamps to the signals at the Arduino end to bolster the pins protection, like: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/234308/how-to-make-clamping-circuit-to-clamp-exactly-at-3-3-volts, except use 100 ohm, for 3.3V read "Vcc", for "ADC" read "Arduino pin" and definitely schottky diodes, zeners would be useless here.

Thanks MarkT, I will get some and install to protect the pins.

ribbonman: I tried blinking an LED on each pin and it turns out pin 12 is in fact dead, I swapped in a new controller and it works as coded.

Robin2 here is a data sheet.data sheet

Thanks

As I read over this data sheet I see SW4 will allow you to run at half current( didn't need to but i'm trying to learn to read specs better)., so that means if the reference current is rated at 0.71A and I turn on SW4 than the current will be roughly .355A.

Am I reading that correctly?

I presume so - it will be easy to confirm with the hardware.