Stepper trying to move but spindle not spinning is it busted?

Hi,

I just want to ask how would you know if a stepper motor is busted? I was using this motor using with an L293 motor driver before, when I changed to L298, the spindle won't spin though I can hear the motor moving and vibrating inside. I changed to L298 because I need more current to drive my motor well. Please advise. Thanks

Try lengthening the delay in the code between pulses to the motor. But more likely the motors need more current.

thanks will try that =)

Check all the connections - if one of the windings is disconnected you'll get this behaviour.

The two chips are very different in the way they work.
Make sure you have used the right current sensing resistors values for your motor.

Also make sure you have the stepping coils wired right, that is try swapping over one pair.
Finally the L298 will need a lot more supply decoupling than the L293 and the current chopping circuit will need to be laid out a lot more carefully than the L293.

Grumpy_Mike:
The two chips are very different in the way they work.
Make sure you have used the right current sensing resistors values for your motor.

Also make sure you have the stepping coils wired right, that is try swapping over one pair.
Finally the L298 will need a lot more supply decoupling than the L293 and the current chopping circuit will need to be laid out a lot more carefully than the L293.

Hi Mike.. thanks for the info, I forgot to mention that I was trying a two pin connection on a L298 and had based my circuit from this source: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://txapuzas.blogspot.com/2009/12/paperstepperl298n-driver-de-potencia.html&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjl0u8FjoTX1wilU47EvROlEmefnA Now, I tried switching to a four pin connection and my motor runs happily. I'm really not sure what I am missing and I really want to make this two pin configuration working.

You need to post the schematic of what you have that doesn't work. Then we can see if there are any errors or omissions in your thinking. If that is fine then it is your implementation that is at fault. But we need to see what you have done that will not work.