Stepper_Motor_Issues

Hello World,

I've been building 3D printers for the last few years and I ran into a problem I've never experienced before.

Each printer I've built has been larger than the previous printer. We'll, I believe I reached a point with my 3D printers that the length of wire between the stepper motor and driver has too much resistance to carry a clean/accurate signal to the motor.

Is this possible?

I'm only using about 10 feet of wire.

I've tested all the entire system with a shorter wiring system and everything functions perfectly, but when I re-install the motors on the actual 3D printer it is unable to move accurately.

If this is the actual issue does anyone have a suggestion on how to carry an accurate current over a large length of wire?

For determining resistance the important thing is the combination of the length and the thickness of the wire and, of course, the current it is required to carry. If you know the cross-section area of the wire you can calculate the resistance based on the resistivity of copper. There are online calculators.

With longer wires there is also a risk of cross-talk between the wires because longer wires will radiate more energy. Separating the wires from each other would deal with that.

...R

What Robin writes is a must. Plus examine HOW the wires are connected. Screw terminal blocks? Twisted together with wire nuts? Soldered and covered with heat-shrink tubing? Every connection is suspect with your description.

Paul

Wires are mounted to the board using screw blocks. Wire is tin plated copper with all other connections soldered together with shrink wrapping.

Is there a way to carry low amps accurately across long distances? Perhaps some type of signal booster.

vanallen351:
Wires are mounted to the board using screw blocks. Wire is tin plated copper with all other connections soldered together with shrink wrapping.

Is there a way to carry low amps accurately across long distances? Perhaps some type of signal booster.

We are still waiting for you to tell us the size of the wire you are using.

Paul

vanallen351:

Ten feet is not a long distance. One thousand feet might be.

And you have not told us your wire size or the number of amps needed by your motors. This problem cannot be solved without numbers.

...R

You don't send "signals" to a stepper motor, you send current, the wire size needed to avoid voltage drop and power loss through wire heating depends on the magnitude of the current flowing through the wire and the resistance (gauge) of the wire, which is?

Sorry about the confusion.

I'm using 22 guage wire.

vanallen351:

I'm using 22 guage wire.

I suggest 18 gauge stranded. Available most anywhere. 22 gauge is ok for telephone service.

Paul

vanallen351:

I'm using 22 guage wire.

You still have not told us how many amps the motors require?

It would also be useful to know the motor power supply voltage. Stepper motors work better with higher voltages.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics