Stepping Up NodeMCU Output

I am working on a project to control RGB Led Strips Using IFTTT, Google Home Mini and Node MCU. So, how to increase the output given by the NODE MCU which is enough to Power up the LED Strip (5 Meter)? :slight_smile:

Two gates of a 74HCT14 cascaded.

Paul__B:
Two gates of a 74HCT14 cascaded.

Sorry Bro I am bit new with the Elec and Stuff. so can you be more elaborate with that statement?

Actually, you will need to explain better what your original question meant.

Precisely what sort of RGB Led Strips do you have? Individually addressable NeoPixel or all the strip the same colour? If latter, what voltage? Common Anode?

Quite obviously the NodeMCU cannot provide any power to the LED strip which must have its own power supply which if a suitable regulated 5 V, may power the NodeMCU as well.

Someone else may know what "IFTTT" is but I most certainly do not! :astonished:

Paul__B:
Actually, you will need to explain better what your original question meant.

Precisely what sort of RGB Led Strips do you have? Individually addressable NeoPixel or all the strip the same colour? If latter, what voltage? Common Anode?

Quite obviously the NodeMCU cannot provide any power to the LED strip which must have its own power supply which if a suitable regulated 5 V, may power the NodeMCU as well.

Someone else may know what "IFTTT" is but I most certainly do not! :astonished:

I have the Strip with all same color. 12 V. not common anode but a common Cathode and different wires for RGB.
IFTTT is a online service that helps use custom phrase in our Google Home Assistant

mudit_tech:
I have the Strip with all same color...and different wires for RGB.

:o Doesn't make sense. RGB LED strips have three primary colours.
Common 12volt RGB LED strips need three logic level mosfets per strip.
Not easy to find logic level mosfets in TO-220 package for 3.3volt logic.
These ones could be ok.
Leo..

Common cathode is somewhat unusual - are you sure? Please give a Web reference to where you obtained it. Common cathode will be difficult to control.

Do you propose to dim individual colours using PWM?

Paul__B:
Common cathode is somewhat unusual - are you sure? Please give a Web reference to where you obtained it. Common cathode will be difficult to control.

https://www.amazon.in/amiciKart-Strip-Adapter-Waterproof-Remote/dp/B01CRDK6YW/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1545806392&sr=1-7&keywords=RGB+LEd+strip - are the strips
and yes I want to control each color individually

Paul__B:

And wait sorry that was common anode wiring i'm noob at it sorry :confused:

mudit_tech:
And wait sorry that was common anode wiring I’m noob at it sorry :confused:

Thought so.

Now we are “cooking with gas”. :grinning:

And you want to use PWM? What you will need will be three “logic level” FETs - you need to find some with a RDS(on) of less than 100 milliohm at 3 V. Can’t remember the number offhand, someone will likely suggest.

Wawa:
Not easy to find logic level mosfets in TO-220 package for 3.3volt logic.
These ones could be ok.

Haven’t tried it but the specs in the data sheet tell me quite clearly “no”.

VGS(TH) = 1.8V, up to 2.35V. Not promising at all. The ones I know work great have a much lower VGS(TH) (0.6V-1.2V for the IRLML2502, 0.4V-0.9V for the PMV16XN), and those data sheets also explicitly give an RDS, ON value for 2.5V VGS.

Another chart in the data sheet shows that at VGS = 3.0V the IGS is limited to 2-3A.

According to Figure 12 in the datasheet, it is simply useless below 4 V.