Stepup Transformers

Hi, I was just learning about transformers and I started wondering why they don't just get a solar panel and get like 5volts from that and use a really big transformer that steps it up to like 50000000volts... Wouldn't that be a way to create energy?

(I know this has nothing to do with arduino sorry)

Because of two points:- 1) Transformers need AC and a solar cell outputs DC. 2) If you double the voltage with a transformer you half the current so that the product volts times current = power is always the same. In fact that assumes 100% efficiency which you don't get.

Next you will be suggesting you get an electric motor to drive a generator and have the output drive the motor. Something for nothing doesn't exist.

Wouldn't that be a way to create energy?

The laws of thermodynamics: 0) You must play the game 1) You can't win 2) You can't break even 3) You can't quit the game.

Something for nothing doesn't exist.

You guys have no fantasy ::)

• Obviously you never believed DireStraits when they topped the charts with their song "Money for Nothing" back in 1985?

Dont be too hard on the OP!

Since Solar power is used in that way in a smaller scale, generally solar cells are used to charge batteries, which in turn are passed to an invertor (a transformer, with some DC-AC circuit basically).

The voltage is then turned into 120v/240v and can be used to power a few items, or to supplement the existing supply!

Wouldn't dream of being hard on the OP. The OP's teachers on the other hand.....

It is a matter of what you are willing to pay, considerig ALL cost factors. That the sun is free is only a small contribution to the ballance sheet - at the moment at least..

Obviously you never believed DireStraits when they topped the charts with their song "Money for Nothing" back in 1985?

No because that song was ironic - do you do irony?

Most Americans don't know what it means. The Canadian Alanis Morissette didn't either in her song Ironic, only one of the four examples sung about was indeed ironic. Although this link says two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_%28song%29

I think someone who knows words like "malapropism" is excused when his/her irony does not always work ;D

Sorry I didn't realise there were people who didn't know what the word malapropism means.

Youth of today ......grumble .......grumble

No because that song was ironic -

Well, I thought that was obvious and so credit was intended for setting us straight on dreams of perpetual mobility!

As for perpetual motion (which in itself is a fascinating topic), here is what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

It says:-

Despite the fact that successful perpetual motion devices are physically impossible in terms of our current understanding of the laws of physics, the pursuit of perpetual motion remains popular.

I assume means it is popular with those who don’t understand the laws of Physics.

2) If you double the voltage with a transformer you half the current so that the product volts times current = power is always the same.

not if you pass it through a flux capacitor! ;)

It is common to post a source of suppply when making such proposition. But all out of stock, I presume?

AH right the current and voltage thing… lol thanks

The laws of thermodynamics:
0) You must play the game

1. You can’t win
  2. You can’t break even
  3. You can’t quit the game.

We’ll looks like imma have to break the law :stuck_out_tongue: