Still can't upload to Yun over network

I can upload through the USB port nut I can't upload over the network. This is getting very frustrating and I'm beginning to believe that doing this in a reliable fashion isn't possible.

I have my Yun configured with a static IP address and it's on 192.168.2.181 GW 192.168.2.1

There is nothing tricky or unusual about my setup.

I have tried it with 5 computers. 3 windows, 2 linux.

Sometimes I see it and can set my port to it. Most of the time I don't see it. I have no idea what is causing me to see it and not see it.

If this isn't going to work I'd rather someone tell me so I don't quit wasting my time. Otherwise - what needs to happen to actually make this work?

mperkel:
Otherwise - what needs to happen to actually make this work?

I honestly don't think that anybody knows how to make it reliable. If they do, they haven't shared it with us.

There's been lots of suggestions, which seem to help some people in the short run, but I haven't seen any solution that helps most of the people most of the time, let alone all of the people all of the time.

That's what I'm seeing too. Lot's of people trying and nothing solved.

How do I contact the developers to submit a bug report?

This would be so much easier if the IDE had a setup where I could just type in the IP address of the YUN and it would just find it there. but that would be too simple.

That's one of the things that frustrates me about the Linux community is so much stuff doesn't work.

mperkel:
This would be so much easier if the IDE had a setup where I could just type in the IP address of the YUN and it would just find it there.

Yes, that would be a wonderful feature, wouldn't it? I've brought it up before, and the answer has been that I should write it myself, and then submit it for review and eventual inclusion. Yeah, right. Many people have brought it up, but apparently the people who are actually qualified to do it have no interest in it.

ShapeShifter:
Yes, that would be a wonderful feature, wouldn't it? I've brought it up before, and the answer has been that I should write it myself, and then submit it for review and eventual inclusion. Yeah, right. Many people have brought it up, but apparently the people who are actually qualified to do it have no interest in it.

Reminder, you can still upload to the Linux side and have that put the sketch in place. Which I think might be a better way of doing it.

Jesse

How do you do that?

Local Bonjour proxy server might help.

mperkel:
How do you do that?

Two ways:

Using the web interface:

• Verify your sketch.
  • Find the .hex file that was created during sketch verification. It’s in a different temporary folder each time, with a really cryptic folder name that has apparently random characters.
  • Load the web page for your Yun.
  • Click the button that says “Upload Sketch”
  • Browse to your .hex file and upload it.

Using the command line:

• Verify your sketch.
  • Find the .hex file that was created during sketch verification. It’s in a different temporary folder each time, with a really cryptic folder name that has apparently random characters.
  • Use an SD card or SCP to copy the .hex file to your Yun.
  • Use the merge-sketch-with-bootloader.lua command
  • Use the run-avrdude command

Sure it can be done, but it’s very tedious,especially finding the .hex file each time.

jessemonroy650:
Which I think might be a better way of doing it.

I’m not sure how this tedious process can be considered “a better way” than the one click method that should work, but doesn’t?

where do you copy the .hex file to?

nevermind - it’s merge-sketch-with-bootloader.lua

mperkel:
nevermind - it’s merge-sketch-with-bootloader.lua

Correct. I’ve updated my post to reflect that, sorry for the confusion.

Great - that will make it easier for others with the same problem.