stk 500 sync problem

"Binary sketch size: 1010 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51"

I know that this is not the first time you have seen this type of a problem asked here..but as i coulnt find any solution to this online..i am asking it again.. however ..my conditions of installations were different..

i am on my windows vista laptop which i upgraded to windows 7 recently ( which is pirated copy)..thus the device drivers were automatically installed at the startup.. i use a printer cable as the usb connection..and i found that no matter how much i try .. the trapezium shaped end which goes to the arduino..doesnt fit deep in completely.. However..the bottom line to the question is..i was able to blink the led after i uploaded the sample code..and both the tx and rx led blinked at the time of uploading.But the error message still prevails at the bottom.i donno why such thing happened. but i found the behaviour of the led a bit erratic when i changed the delay periods.sometimes the edited program worked sometimes it didnt. so guys what may be the solution to it.. until now you'd have known that i am a newbie..so plz use a rather non-technical language to answer..

Hey sorry guys..i resolved the problem.. i was on a wrong com port..Thanx for your time anyways.. :) ..