stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x01 - suggested solutions already tried

Hello,

I am new to Arduino and I am having significant difficulty connecting to my Uno R3. I am running Windows 10 Technical Preview. Here's what I've done so far:

• Installed Arduino 1.0.6 - installation successful
  • Connected board and installed drivers - installation successful
  • Launched the Arduino IDE and ran Blink - compiled and uploaded successfully
  • Attempted to connect to 2.8" TFT LCD shield, which brought its own problems, but those are not for this thread - had errors in executing test code but code compiled and uploaded successfully
  • Began getting not in sync: resp=0x01 errors consistently on upload - I note that this is a different code than the frequently-cited 0x00 but I do not know what it means
  • Removed shield and attempted to run Blink again - sync error remained
  • Uninstalled Arduino 1.0.6 and drivers, installed Arduino 1.5.8 and reinstalled drivers - once again on COM3, without trouble
  • Tried pressing reset button just before script uploaded - did not solve sync error, I may be doing it wrong
  • Attempted loop-back test, which seems to behave normally

The R3 is connected on COM3 and Uno is selected in the Board menu. It is using the AVRISP MkII programmer, if that makes a difference.

Verbose upload feedback just returns ten attempts to connect, all of which fail with the following:

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

EDIT: missed a step in my attempts to connect, amended
EDIT again: the L LED does not blink three times when the reset button is pushed; it is either off, dim (kind of looks like a rapid flicker to reduce brightness mechanically) or bright, and although pressing reset changes these states, it doesn't seem to do so consistently and I can't find a clear explanation of what the different states mean.
EDIT the third: each time the IDE console indicates a new attempt the RX LED flashes once. The TX LED never flashes.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Bumping this in hopes of a reply. I'd like to try the -v -v -v -v verbose flag thing but I'm on Windows and getting a Cygwin environment set up to do that has been nothing short of a huge hassle. I've got it mostly there but the number of packages I have to hunt down just to accomplish this one-line upload hack is a bit intimidating.

How did you connect your AVRISP MkII programmer to the Uno? Via the ICSP connector?

Oh. I think I've misunderstood what the programmer setting in the IDE refers to. Is it a separate piece of hardware? I took it to be a "codec" for the upload process. The AVRISP MkII programmer is the one selected in the IDE but if it's not actually being used then I guess that's irrelevant.

I've since tried changing the baud rate on COM3 to the one listed by the IDE, 115200, and changing the port assignment from COM3 to COM4 just to see. I've also tried holding the reset button whilst plugging in the USB cord, clicking Upload in the IDE and then plugging in the Arduino just before it finishes compiling, and switching to a different USB cord. I have not tried this Uno on any other computers because my laptop lives at my office. I uninstalled the 1.5.8 IDE and reinstalled the 1.0.5 version, and it now throws a 0x00 exception instead of 0x01. I still cannot get it to finish uploading successfully.

I had this same problem on my Windows Tech Preview install. The fix for me was to go in to device manager and install the driver for a USB COM port that wasn’t set up properly.

Also look at http://www.instructables.com/id/A-solution-to-avrdude-stk500getsync-not-in-syn/ for other possibilities.

• First of all, does this Arduino work on another computer w/ Windows XP or 7 ? That would be my first step to isolate the problem: detect what part of the entire process is faulty.

• The “Programmer” setting in the IDE is not required unless you’ll flash your sketch bypassing the bootloader or flash a new bootloader (like in a blank chip). Most people will never need to use a programmer from the IDE, so don’t worry about that now.

• When you go to the device manager (or whatever it is called in Win10), do you see the Arduino COM port there?

• you don’t need a Cygwin environment. you can run avrdude.exe from a command prompt. The only thing is that you need to manually specify all the parameters. Supposing your arduino is on COM3, this is how you check if avrdude can talk to it:

avrdude -C …\etc\avrdude.conf -p m328p -P usb -c arduino -v -v

avrdude.exe can be found in \hardware\tools\avr\bin, and that’s where your command prompt should be open.

Try the command above and let us know how it went.

Hello,
I have the same issue.. I connected my Arduino Mini to a USB2Serial (original from Arduino) connecting just RX->TX and TX->RX and power supply to 5 Vdc, of course also GND.
I don't understand how to handle RESET, I mean, the input pin is now connected to 5vdc through a resistor 10k in order to avoid it floating.

I tried to add a led 1/4W with a resistance of 333 ohm to the pin 13 but I can't see nothing.. when I press reset button the led still off.

When I try to upload a program (e.g. blink) it build but is not able to connect to the programmer:

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 3 2014 at 23:12:16
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM25
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

the speed od serial port 25 in my pc is 115200 as required by Arduino IDE..

any suggestion?

The Arduino MINI 05 is new.. I found on the web that bootloader should be already there.. I can see the power led ON.. it's enough to say: bootloader is ok?

Bye
Andrea

"Not in sync" is the most dreaded error message while using Arduino. It says that the ATmega328 chip does not communicate with Arduino system in PC.

One reason that caused communication to fail is that the fuse bytes in 328 was accidentally changed. There are three fuse bytes: Low Fuse, High Fuse, and Extended Fuse. These fuse bytes can be examined and changed with ISP mkII programmer.

I am using Arduino Uno board with ATmega328A. Arduino 1.04. Bootloader is optiboot_atmega328.hex. Here, Low Byte = FF, High Byte = D4, Extended Byte = FD.

Normally, these fuse bytes are tucked away and cannot be changed. However, if the chip is not treated with respect, they can be changed by accident, and all of a sudden, you get the dreaded not in sync error message.

It can also be caused by a wide variety of wiring problems too.

Do you have anything connected to the serial pins (0 and 1 for the uno)? Disconnect them when programming.

Azzy,

You are right. It can be caused by lots of things. However, if the board used to work but all of a sudden failed with this not in sync error, check the fuse bytes.

The fuse bytes configure ATmega chip in determining the source of clock, the flash memory configuration, and many other features. You have to have proper flash programming tools to read and to change them. Arduino system does not provide this tool, and the chip and the board are as good as dead. Good news is that Atmel does sell AVRISP mkII for $69. Serious Arduino users should consider getting it if this not in sync error does not go away.

Hi, today I am having similar problems

It is UNO Rev3, using Windows XP

Suddenly I have this error message when I tried to upload a sketch that I know works, and also trying to upload "Blink" from the examples

" Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 "

As I am not a computer guru, does this mean that my UNO is finito???

Thanks

Mick

@Mickyk

Have a look into reloading the Arduino's bootloader. The error you are receiving suggests that your bootloader is either not running or unable to communicate with the usb-serial chip.

Thank you SantonioPrice,

Reloading the bootloader ? ? ?, as I said I'm not a computer guru!

Would deleting and then reloading the entire IDE solve the problem?

I could probably save the few sketches that I really need in Notepad, and then bring them back into my sketchbook.

Or do I have to get my wife to buy me your Kindle book?

Mick.

The "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" error means that PC cannot comunicate with Arduino.
Missing or corrupted bootloader is just only one of reasons of such error. Start with simple things check first: USB cable, port on PC etc., and of course the bootloader. Simple test if the bootloader is present on UNO is that the LED L should blink fast 3 times after reset (press RESET button or connect USB to PC).

MickyK:
Reloading the bootloader ? ? ?, as I said I'm not a computer guru!

Read this:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader?from=Tutorial.Bootloader

Thank you all for your input!

By going through the whole process step by step, all the really basic things, it is now working!

No reloading of anything at all.

Mick

Hello
I’m an experient programmer with microchip microcontrollers and now I’m starting with arduino (Uno with atmega) . My first experience was precisely the well referenced error of “stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12…”. All things seem to be OK: bootloader, cables, drivers, etc…Even changing the usb ports, the error still appearing. I decide to test in my laptop and everything runs fine without any problem. So I go back to desktop and after a lot of work I seen that the problem is an incompatibility between the arduino and my brother mfc6490cw printer ! When I removed the usb cable from printer the arduino can upload the sketch very well and perfectly. Unfortunately the solution appears to be a quite strange. Anybody has seen such behaviour? Any suggestion to solve that without being turn off the printer? Thanks

avrdude: stk500_getsync()

i get This error using

this code
moister sensor is hooked up pos topos neg to neg and sensor hooked up to A0

//TMP36 Pin Variables
int sensorPin = 0; //the analog pin the TMP36's Vout (sense) pin is connected to
//the resolution is 10 mV / degree centigrade with a
//500 mV offset to allow for negative temperatures
/*

• setup() - this function runs once when you turn your Arduino on
  • We initialize the serial connection with the computer
    */
    void setup()
    {
    Serial.begin(9600); //Start the serial connection with the computer
    //to view the result open the serial monitor
    }
    void loop() // run over and over again
    {
    //getting the voltage reading from the temperature sensor
    int reading = analogRead(sensorPin);
    // converting that reading to voltage, for 3.3v arduino use 3.3
    float voltage = reading * 5.0;
    voltage /= 1024.0;
    // print out the voltage
    Serial.print(voltage); Serial.println(" volts");
    // now print out the temperature
    float temperatureC = (voltage - 0.5) * 100 ; //converting from 10 mv per degree wit 500 mV offset
    //to degrees ((voltage - 500mV) times 100)
    Serial.print(temperatureC); Serial.println(" degrees C");
    // now convert to Fahrenheit
    float temperatureF = (temperatureC * 9.0 / 5.0) + 32.0;
    Serial.print(temperatureF); Serial.println(" degrees F");
    delay(1000); //waiting a second
    }

help i am running out of ideas

@Kutton

Can you successfully upload the blink sketch?