"stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Hello everyone

I’m using Johnny Five for a project, it all worked fine but then I’ve got this error message:

Error [ERR_UNHANDLED_ERROR]: Unhandled error. ({
  type: 'error',
  timestamp: 1612803010775,
  class: 'Device or Firmware Error',
  message: 'A timeout occurred while connecting to the Board. \n' +
    '\n' +
    "Please check that you've properly flashed the board with the correct firmware.\n" +
    'See: https://github.com/rwaldron/johnny-five/wiki/Getting-Started#trouble-shooting\n' +
    '\n' +
    "If connecting to a Leonardo or Leonardo clone, press the 'Reset' button on the board, wait approximately 11 seconds for complete reset, then run your program again.",
  data: null
})

So, i’ve tried to use the Arduino in the IDE to see if it works there, but in the IDE i’m getting this message with just the basic blink example:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

thing i’ve tried:
→ The board is correctly selected in the IDE.
→ Tried the reset button on the Arduino
→ Tried different cables and computers

What I think it could be is that i’ve connected a led to pin 0 and 1, which are the TX and the RX pins.
I thought they were just regular I/O pins, but now i’ve just read they are used to make connection to a computer.

Hopefully somebody could help me with this, i’m new to Arduino. :slight_smile:

lukasdebeerst:
What I think it could be is that i’ve connected a led to pin 0 and 1, which are the TX and the RX pins.
I thought they were just regular I/O pins, but now i’ve just read they are used to make connection to a computer.

That is correct for the Arduino Uno, Nano, Pro Mini, Mega, and a few other less common boards. There are other Arduino boards that don’t use those pins for the connection to the computer.

lukasdebeerst:
Hopefully somebody could help me with this

Just connect the LED to other pins on your board and leave pins 0 and 1 alone. Also, make sure to use a current limiting resistor in series with your LED. The last I checked, the Johnny Five tutorial omitted that very important resistor.

lukasdebeerst:
i’m new to Arduino. :slight_smile:

Welcome, and congratulations on discovering the wonderful world of embedded systems!

Thanks for your response!

I'm trying to upload a script with nothing connected to my board, just to test.
But the IDE doesn't let me upload anything.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.