STM32 Nucleo Boards and Arduino

According to the data-sheet, it is possible to connect an Arduino Uno to some of the boards: datasheet at Farnell

In particular I am interested in the motor driver board X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1. Unfortunately, all manuals I found are based on Windows systems.

Has anyone used these systems within Linux ? And if so, has anyone worked with the motor control board ? Do you know some tutorials which are not based on the Windows GUI ?

TheSTM32 might have Arduino compatible headers but the board your talking about is using ST Morpho header pins and only some of them parallel to the Arduino headers. If any of the pins used are outside this range then you will need additional wiring. Also the STM32 is a 3.3V board so be aware of potential power and logic level problems.

STm32 are 3.3V but about 50 % pin are 5 V tolerant contrary to ARM-Atmel micro(0%). Communication pin are all 5 V tolérant (UART, SPI, I2C, I2S....)

Has anyone used these systems within Linux ?

Yes but as I work with MBed and not with http://www.stm32duino.com (it is an arduino clone function) Linux or Window is the same. Nucleo board appear as a hard disk. So you just have to move the binary file to the "board hard drive".

I find MBed language more modern than arduino langage. With MBed you have component librairies, often writed by manufacturer like Maxim, Aosong.... You have for free a Mercurial repository (for private or public files).

MBed is controled dirrectly by ARM, with help of micro manufacturer (NXP, STMicro, Renesas....). So a "civil war" like Arduino is impossible. The goal is only to sell micros not boards. They sell boards only for testing micro.

Forum are professional, you have not yet a friendly community like here.

MoritzImend: According to the data-sheet, it is possible to connect an Arduino Uno to some of the boards: datasheet at Farnell

In particular I am interested in the motor driver board X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1. Unfortunately, all manuals I found are based on Windows systems.

Has anyone used these systems within Linux ? And if so, has anyone worked with the motor control board ? Do you know some tutorials which are not based on the Windows GUI ?

After reading those pdf, I understood something quite different:

-> STM nucleo boards do have Arduino UNO rev3 Shield compatibility.

I don't see where do they affirm that an Uno can run that board.

-> STM nucleo boards do have Arduino UNO rev3 Shield compatibility.

Without a specific example, assertion has no value. Can You quote points of no compatibility?

68tjs:
Without a specific example, assertion has no value.
Can You quote points of no compatibility?

I understand, that op wants to use Arduino Uno + stm motor shield.

What I understand the pdf says:
It is possible to conect stm nucleo board + arduino shields.

See the difference Im pointing out?
In a nutshell:

Arduino uno + stm motor shield = wrong
Nucleo + stm motor shield = correct
Nucleo + arduino shield = correct
Arduino + arduino shield = correct

Nucleo + arduino shield = correct Arduino + arduino shield = correct

I agree But not this :

Arduino uno + stm motor shield = wrong Nucleo + stm motor shield = correct

Impossible : there are no Shield manufactured by Mbed. You have not understood Mbed project.

Arduino makes money by selling boards (Micro + Officials shields).

The purpose of Mbed is not to sell boards but to help his customers to sell IC.

Mbed is ARM. ARM sells intellectual property to his customers. Its customers are Atmel, Freescale, Maxim, Nordic, NXP, STM, Renesas, Wiznet, and so on.

ARM Customers win money by selling IC. Boards are demo-board used only to facilitate IC testing.

If you are a professional you'll never pay a board, it will be given. MBed customers offer few board that accepts Arduino shields, but they do not make shield*s*. There are society as Adafruit or Sparkfun doing shields.

Have a look on: https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/

"The X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1 is a three-phase brushless DC motor driver expansion board based on the L6230 for STM32 Nucleo."

What is "expansion board"? I thought it was the same as a shield. Anyway, what im pointing out is that is expansion board is probably not compatible with Arduino.

That is not a shield. If you look at the illustrations of it you will see that the shield connectors on that board are not populated.

evildave_666: That is not a shield. If you look at the illustrations of it you will see that the shield connectors on that board are not populated.

So you mean: arduino expansion boards = shield And any other expansion board different to that is not a shield.