Stock keeper (LCD)

Hi, I'm a new owner of an arduino uno starter kit and I was hoping that you could shed some light on a project I'm starting, I, put simply wish to have a button press effect the text of an LCD screen, the problem that I am having is getting my head around how to wire up an LCD and how to obtain a variable from a switch without shorting the board, (pressing a button throws a number into a variable) I'm completely happy with wading through the programming myself, and its just this wiring that's confusing me Thanks in advance!

Did you know that the IDE has some basic examples (including hpw to read switches) built-in?

I recommend using an I2C connection and appropriate libraries for the LCD. This gives only 2 signal wires to deal with, plus power.

As AWOL has said look at the samples.

A basic switch connection has 10k from 5v to the input pin then the switch to gnd. When the switch is open, the pin is high, when closed it is low. Your program can count the presses to determine the message to be displayed.

Look up "denouncing switches" as well. When you press the switch, the contacts will close and bounce before settling. This will give multiple counts.

Weedpharma

Look up "denouncing switches" as well.

J'accuse.

"Debounce" (damn auto-correction)

Denounce all your buttons and connect them with pull up barristers.

AWOL: J'accuse.

"Debounce" (damn auto-correction)

Using iPad and it happens all the time. It even says some things that are not quite right sometimes.

Weedpharma

Thanks, was wondering how you wire up the LCD to the arduino more but thanks for all the replies!

Jekub: Thanks, was wondering how you wire up the LCD to the arduino more but thanks for all the replies!

You haven't told us anything about your LCD.

Sorry, It's the one from the arduino own brand starter kit

I don't have the Arduino own-brand starter kit, but I'd like to imagine it comes with an instruction manual of some sort (?)

It does to an extent, it shows me exactly what pins to connect where to make a crystal ball but no other projects and the brief information it does give is near nonsensical on the hardware side of things.

Is there a particular way that this LCD needs to be connected to work with the LCD libraries?

Are you refer to this Arduino Starter Kit?

Jekub: Is there a particular way that this LCD needs to be connected to work with the LCD libraries?

You can use any pins but you have tell it in the porgram.

http://quickstartkitforarduino.blogspot.sg/2012/05/simple-labs-quick-start-kit-for-arduino_2186.html