Storing data in the form of Data Structures

I'm using a standard SD logging shield along with an Arduino Uno. I have several contraptions attached to the Arduino: a temperature sensor, an RTC module, and a humidity sensor. So, the bottom line is, whether it is possible to store the data from these sensors to the SD card in the form of a .dat file using data structures ? Using a structure like this :- struct data { float temp,humid; int hh,mm,ss,yy,mm,dd; } Is it possible to do so? I don't want to store the data in a text file, but a .dat (data) file.

Yes, it's perfectly possible. It may not be a good idea, but there's nothing to stop you.

AWOL:
Yes, it’s perfectly possible.
It may not be a good idea, but there’s nothing to stop you.

Out of interest, why isn’t it a good idea?
Do you mean because of issues with not (necessarily) knowing the exact size of the struct when reading it?

If you store it as text, you can read it, and your software can read it.
If you store it as binary, only your sketch can read it (easily).
Also, there may be endian issues, or even packing/alignment issues.

AWOL: If you store it as text, you can read it, and your software can read it. If you store it as binary, only your sketch can read it (easily). Also, there may be endian issues, or even packing/alignment issues.

Sounds fair enough to me. :) (Just wondering, since it's not hard to actually do it.)