Straightforward music controlled relay switch

As you might have guessed, I am a complete beginner regarding electronics,
however, I have a basic understanding of how things work and I'm fairly handy.

The reason why I am here is because I don't want to cause a fire, that, and keep the cost to a minimum.

I am a DJ and I have these banners that I treated with ultraviolet ink. Now, I have UV-LED tubes shining on them, that I want to light up on the beat of the music.

My go-to solution would be an arduino board with a microphone module and a solid-state relay.

However, I have no clue if that will work.

Could you guide me in the right direction? I would need a relay, normally closed, capable of switching 230V A/C, fairly low wattage --> a solid state would be great considering I don't want the clicking sound, but do I get low-level or high-level input? I'd say a microphone module with resistor, but maybe a frequency divider? Considering I want it to supply power to close the relay on the beat, which would be between 60 Hz and 200 Hz.

Now, I know that newcomers that go straight to the project help section are usually not welcome on a forum, but I would highly appreciate your help here :wink:

Many thanks in advance, and happy tinkering

Now, I have UV-LED tubes shining on them

We need to know more about these tubes. Can you post a link to the ones you have.

A solid state relay can be used for AC loads but there is a difficulty when the load current is low.

but do I get low-level or high-level input?

What?

Look at the MSGEQ7 chip for splitting audio into different frequency bands.

Detecting the music beat seems, to me, the hard part. I have seen threads about that on the forum. Search for "arduino detect music beat".

Grumpy_Mike:
We need to know more about these tubes. Can you post a link to the ones you have.

They're 5W 24 LED fixtures but they can be interconnected, 6 in a row,
rated input voltage is AC 90-265 V

The high/low level input I read somewhere on the vendor's page regarding the trigger voltage, according to them there are relays that trigger between 3,6 to 5.5 V and between 0 to 3 V

Detecting the beat is hard, detecting the general volume much less so.

Instead of a microphone it may be easier to use a line level audio output of your DJ rig instead, lead that into the MSGEQ7 equaliser, and look at the lowest frequency output. That should give you the beat. You can simply ignore the other channels, or maybe do some other fancy things with it.

Reply to post #3.

Not exactly a link is it? You know this because you have this link:-

on the vendor's page

We don’t care what it looks like we care about the electrical specification. For example is the 5V trigger isolated from the mains? Is there a 5V and ground trigger pulse input or just 5V?

If it is then can you make it blink by using the simple blink sketch in the IDE? This is the very first step you must do.

DrSabo:
The high/low level input I read somewhere on the vendor's page

So you know where the vendor's page is. Why not share that information with us? It might be more use than a pretty picture.

Steve

A mechanical relay will be worn out in just a few hours of music. You definitely need to switch this electronically and probably not at the 230V mains side either.

A beat detector does not require an arduino. It is a relatively simple analog circuit. You would only need an Arduino if there was some pattern or some other sequencing required.