Strange duemilanove problems

• New duemilanove, plugged it in it starts flashing it’s LED as expected.

• Wrote a script to flash two LEDs, setup the components (two leds each with 330ohm resistor in serial) worked fine.

• Wrote a script to make sounds from a piezo device. Loaded, nothing happened (the duemilanove is ‘flashing’ digital ports 13-8 inclusive). Opened the serial monitor and suddenly the piezo starts working (ie the script starts running). Close the serial monitor and it goes back to flashing 13-8.

• Wrote a different script (to cycle colours in an RGB LED). Same. With the serial monitor closed the duemilanove flashes digital pins 13-8, with the serial monitor open it starts running my script.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Without seeing any software? Seems unlikely to me.

That's a really unhelpful response.

No, it points out that you haven't give us anything to work on.

(that's a hint for you to post your sketches. Use the # button on the editor's toolbar)

Here’s a clue: my code has nothing to do with the problem.

Can we get an admin to give this troll a kick up the arse?

I think edward is masochistic.

He strangely wants to be kicked by an admin.

He also talks about himself in third person. ;D

But seriously, you need to show us the code you are using. (I just realized that I very often start a post with a not completely serious answer, then follow up with "But seriously...")

Wow is everyone here thick as two-short-planks and a troll?

What have you done so far to help us to help you?

Post code - we're not psychic.

Wrote a script to flash two LEDs,

My ouija board is on the blink at the moment - you'll just have to show us the code. (that's another hint)

The. Code. Is. Irrelevant.

Two completely different programs: the same problem.

Can you even think of a way that a programme running on the arduino could respond to the serial monitor being turned on?

Wasting my time here.

Enjoy trolling and screwing up this community: bet it gets you hard right?

I think that he should just be ignored. Clearly a troll.

Possibly robotic, but I think not.

No. It. Isn't. Necessarily. We. Can't. tell. If. we. can't. see. the. code.

Can you even think of a way that a programme running on the arduino could respond to the serial monitor being turned on

Oddly enough, yes I can. RTFM

Two completely different programs: the same problem

So, what happened with the third?

Come on, just post the code.

Open arduino Open the sketch Edit>select all Edit>Copy Click reply on the forum Click the button that looks like a # Paste your code Click the post button

Or you may not even have code, if you are just a troll trolling away trollingly.

And I'm guessing AWOL is not a troll, since after >3000 posts, you'd think he would be banned if he were a troll.

And I'm guessing AWOL is not a troll

Well, I am quite partial to curried goat. ;D

I just noticed that edward is also a genderless troll.
Check out the profile to the side.

And guess what AWOL!
Edward just reported us for spam!!!
Grrrrrrrh

'nothing happened' 'flashing,

Which one?

Have you read about the auto-reset feature?

What about posting some code before calling people idiots?

Enjoy trolling and screwing up this community

I can assure you that all but one person in this thread are very helpful and valued members of this community.

You need to learn some respect.

Wow is everyone here thick as two-short-planks and a troll

Well apparently you are the thick one with the issue. I'm sure most people who are posting could work out this simple issue you are having. All of these 'trolls' are willing to help someone who is willing to accept their help in a civil and sensible manner.

Also, I heard of this rubbish through the spam thread (which incidentally was started by me so I know what spam is).

Mowcius

Two completely different programs: the same problem.

Ah but "Two completely different programs" have one thing in common, same programmer. 8-) If you want help post your program(s), otherwise we assume you just like the attention.

Lefty

You need to learn some respect

I'd be happy if s/he learnt some common-sense.

Silly posts aside.. Let me try to say what the others have said..

You have two programs that execute 'something', you're expecting one thing but getting another. You open the serial monitor, and stuff happens as you expect it to. This means the hardware you have hooked up functions properly, else it would never be able to do the stuff you expect it to do. Now, the only variable that is left, is the sketch that you loaded onto your board. If you make the same mistake in both sketches, the same problem will occur in both, would it not? This is the reason why everybody is asking to see your sketch, and not giving you the answer that you seek, because they know the problem is in the sketch since you allready gave the information that eliminates the hardware as being the cuprit.

And don't feed trolls... it never helps.

I work for a school as a electronics teacher. I co-desined a kid friendly platform based on launchpad by ti (convincing school to move to custom arduinos, but taking a while), and belive me, before you blame the hardware, check for human error. If noone did, millions of man-hours would be wasted. (Hint, show us your code, and we can help you).