strange radio outlet? help figuring what it is

Hey I found this antique outlet in a wall, it has a receptor looking thing on the bottom one labeled ground the other antenna , that isn’t confusing, weird part is there are two momentary buttons that when both pressed it seems to short out the outlet below? Any ideas or knowledge on this?

Well - that's basically what it is - do a GIS on "vintage radio outlet" or "vintage antenna outlet" - and you'll find images similar to your's - though I wasn't able to find your identical model.

A radio (or perhaps even a TV?) would plug into the antenna outlet, which was wired to an antenna in the attic or on the roof (if you have an attic, you might check to see if the wires from the wall lead to something interesting up there!).

Likely, these old outlets were manufactured by a TON of companies - and in fact, each radio manufacturer probably had their own standard. If it has any markings or other identification info on it, that -might- help; but again - needle/haystack territory, I suspect.

The only real question is why the buttons? I suspect (big guess here) that they might have worked an antenna rotator to help "tune in" the signal - but your description of what they are actually doing makes no sense (I don't think both were meant to be pressed at the same time; I wonder what they do when only one or the other is pressed?).

Keep it as an antique bit of electronics - I'm not sure whether it is worth anything or not, other than as a conversation piece (but you might look into it on the off-chance you have something special).

Could we have the other views - and perhaps in better focus/ grain even in less resolution?

My conjecture is that since the lead was the same as the power cord (probably transformerless design), it would have had to have a capacitor in series to guard against being plugged into the mains by mistake, and that capacitor might charge to a nasty voltage when connected to a real antenna, so the shorting buttons might be to discharge the capacitor before removing - and touching - the plug pins.