Strange readings from GadgetShield accelerometer

Hi all. I’m building a roving autonomous tank-like vehicle. I am trying to use an accelerometer to measure the robot’s acceleration in the X, Y and Z axis directions. Measuring these accelerations over time will tell me how far the robot has moved, rotated, climbed etc.

I am using the GadgetShield (http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/gadget_shield.html) from Rugged Circuits. It includes a 3-Axis Orientation/Motion Detection Sensor: The MMA7660FC is a ±1.5 g 3-Axis Accelerometer with Digital Output accessed via I2C.

I am reading from the accelerometer using the standard GadgetShield.h functions as shown below:

// Refresh the acceleration measurement samples
    GS.AccelSample();
    // Get the accelerations. 
    uint8_t ResultX = GS.AccelResultX(); 
    uint8_t ResultY = GS.AccelResultY(); 
    uint8_t ResultZ = GS.AccelResultZ();

When the robot is physically still, the above code returns ResultX=31, ResultY=36 and ResultZ=54. I expected ResultX and ResultY to both be 32 (zero acceleration).
Question 1: Why are they not 32? Why are they not the same?

A follow-on question: How do I accurately convert say ResultX to an acceleration in say metres/second/second? This is my current understanding:
The GadgetShield::s2u function means that AccelResultX/Y/Z functions return results in range 0 to 63 where
Result of 0 represents -1.5g
Result of 32 represents 0g (no acceleration)
Result of 63 represents -1.453g
Hence the accelerations can be calculated (in m/s2) as:
Accel = ( AccelResult - 32 ) * 1.5 * 9.80665 / 32
Question 2: Is this the right approach?

Thanks in advance for your help

When the robot is physically still, the above code returns ResultX=31, ResultY=36 and ResultZ=54. I expected ResultX and ResultY to both be 32 (zero acceleration). Question 1: Why are they not 32? Why are they not the same?

I guess because the accelerometer chip is not mounted as exactly as you expected it or the roboter is on a ground not completely flat, so it has some leaning.

Is this the right approach?

If you need absolute values: yes.

if you're happy with your mounting, but the results aren't as you expect, take a calibration reading, and then map the output to the calibration.

this way, its irrelevant how your sensor is mounted, your just using software to tell your sensor its 32 when you know its level.

(if i'm understanding you're issue that is!)

Thanks guys. I'll try that this weekend (timing allowing). Life is busy! Thanks again