Strategies to power arduino UNO+micro-servo

Hi,

Currently, I have a USB powerbank powering my arduino Uno which powers my micro servomotor. I would like to have the motor running for long periods of time (~24 hrs). Sometimes, I am able to achieve this run-time but in most cases the power bank shuts off after about 3-4 hrs of running. I am not quite sure about the variability. It seems that my powerbank has a current threshold (don’t know exactly but probably 50-60 mA) and my arduino/servo motor are probably right at that cut-off.

What is the easiest way to handle this problem? Could I program my arduino to draw more current from the power bank (have it calculate pi to many decimal points?)? Or, would just buying a proper grade resistor do the job.

Thanks

Could I program my arduino to draw more current from the power bank (have it calculate pi to many decimal points?)?

The processor is running flat out all the time, even if it is accomplishing nothing. So, giving it something useless to do will not draw more current.

Even if you could do that, drawing more current would simply kill the battery faster, which did not seem to be your goal. Or, did I miss something?

Or, would just buying a proper grade resistor do the job.

What are you using the resistor for?

I have found that the current cut off for USB power banks varies from one brand to another, so perhaps try a different one. If your goal is to run as long as possible you will need to take further action to reduce your power consumption (shutting down unused components, putting the processor to sleep, removing LEDs etc.), then eventually you will hit that limit no matter which power bank you choose. I have been trying to solve the same problem, but I have yet to find a power bank with an option to say deliver power all of the time until the battery goes flat. I have had to go back to more conventional rechargeable batteries.

Artificially drawing more current to keep the power bank alive defeats the purpose of trying to conserve power to run as long as possible. I have seen other posters that have made a small circuit to "pulse" and draw just enough current periodically to keep the power supply on.

Power it with a car battery