strobe light timer

I have a couple strobe lights that I want to set to a timer to give a lightning effect. Is this possible with arduino? I want to be able to just plug the lights in to the timer and not have to take them apart.

Thanks!

Is this possible with arduino?

Yes.

It is just the blink LED sketch with the output connected to your strobe light through a driver. Do you have a strobe light in mind that you want to use?

What kind of strobe? How is it powered? Is there a trigger input?

If these are camera type strobes, there should be an input for a trigger, which is usually a switch/relay closure. You should be able to trigger it with the Arduino, but a photograpic strobe may have limits to how fast it can be repeated.

A "DJ" type strobe may, or may not, have a trigger input. If there is no trigger input, it could be tricky to modify. I have a DJ strobe and it has some kind of control input, but it didn't come with any specs, and you are supposed to use the manufacturer-supplied controller (which I do not have).

I want to be able to just plug the lights in to the timer and not have to take them apart.

If there is no trigger/control input, you probably won't be able to control it by simply switching on & off the power. Xenon strobes are run from dangerous voltages, so you need some kind of isolation (probably an opto isolator) if you do decide to take one apart to add a trigger. An LED strobe should be a bit safer...