Strobing Light Project: How to add a halogen lamp dimmable by the Arduino?

Hello!

Many of you have already been very helpful on this build.

In a nutshell:

I have an LED panel I am able to strobe at specific frequencies using an Arduino and a MOSFET.

• I am able to program the light to follow certain patterns and programs (ie show this freq for 5 seconds, then sweep through this range of frequencies for 10 sec, etc.)

Now, I would like to add a single halogen lamp to the project. I would like this to be dimmable, either from completely off to completely on...

Or with a preset number of dimness levels. (10%, 20%, 50%, etc)

I haven't found a good way to set this up and would truly appreciate any guidance on this!

Thank you :slight_smile:

UPDATE: I have found this sight here, to dim a 110/220 v lamp. This will actually be a great solution. I was considering using 12v lamps as I already have 12v going to the LED. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

BangGood voltage regulater: AC Light lamp dimming and motor Dimmer Module, 1 Channel, 3.3V/5V logic, AC 50/60hz, 220V/110V 600V|module ac|module 220vmodule 5v - AliExpress

I was also able to find the AC Dimmer module on Amazon. Unless someone chimes in letting me know it won’t work or their is a better solution, I’m giving this a go!

I’ll report back either way

Forget about AC dimmers. Use 12 volt. A logic N channel MOSFET transistor and PWM will do the job.

Please don't start multiple threads for the same project.

You have failed to identify you halogen lamp. We have 120 volt ones in the house. Our old Mercedes used 12 volt ones for interior lights.

Bear in mind for your design that halogen lamps are pretty much short circuits until they light up.

Paul

Railroader:
Forget about AC dimmers. Use 12 volt. A logic N channel MOSFET transistor and PWM will do the job.

Railroader:

Hi Railroader, I typically would, however I can't have the bulb flicker as I would have with a mosfet

Why would PWM and a bulb flicker?

Railroader:
Why would PWM and a bulb flicker?

Is the PWM controlling voltage? My understanding of using a PWM is with LED's, which dim by decreasing pulse width, which will appear as flickering on a camera.

Okey. The PWM frequency might interfere with the frame rate of a camera like old western films, wheels turning backwards.
I think 490 Hz is one standard but it can be changed.

kilncreative:
Hi Railroader, I typically would, however I can't have the bulb flicker as I would have with a mosfet

Huh? AC dimmers cause flicker also.

Using an AC dimmer on a DC bulb....? AC dimmers are likely locked to the frequency of mains, 50 or 60 Hz. What's the difference? It would be the same as PWM at that frequency.

I think halogen lamps do not flicker because they hold the heated filament temperature rather constant. When we turn off an AC halogen, the light stays for a good part of a second.

Paul

Then 490 Hz PWM would be no problem?

kilncreative:
Now, I would like to add a single halogen lamp to the project. I would like this to be dimmable, either from completely off to completely on...

Dimming a halogen bulb reduces it's lifespan, because the halogen process can't be maintained at a reduced temperature.
Leo..