Strong enough motor

I am working on a project for my son.

We are looking to control a small basket moving up an down (think treehouse) Not much weight in it, probably not more than 5 lbs through a pulley (which would lessen the weight as well). With various inputs on an Arduino.

Once a specific input is achieved, RFID for one, the basket will lower and when removed it will rise back to its original position.

Having the RFID trigger the output on the UNO through a relay is the easy part. Finding an acceptable motor that I can accurately raise and lower to a point that will hold enough line on a spool is the issue.

Anyone have any experience in something like this.

Thanks

and when removed it will rise back to its original position.

After you've removed the basket, how can it return to its original position?

How powerful a motor you need depends on the torque needed, which is a function of weight and distance. You've given a vague estimate of weight, but said nothing about pulley diameter, so torque can not be calculated.

Finding an acceptable motor that I can accurately raise and lower to a point that will hold enough line on a spool is the issue.

I don't see a relationship between the torque that the motor needs to have, and "a point that will hold enough line on a spool". Nor do I even understand what that phrase means.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Measure the actual force required to raise and lower the basket using a spring scale or luggage scale. A single overhead pulley does not reduce the force required, but two or more pulleys can do so.

Then you can decide on how the motor will do that, and calculate the required motor torque.

Introduction to force and torque.

PaulS:
After you've removed the basket, how can it return to its original position?

How powerful a motor you need depends on the torque needed, which is a function of weight and distance. You've given a vague estimate of weight, but said nothing about pulley diameter, so torque can not be calculated.
I don't see a relationship between the torque that the motor needs to have, and "a point that will hold enough line on a spool". Nor do I even understand what that phrase means.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I am not removing the basket, when the RFID tag is removed the basket will raise back up to its starting position.

There are a bunch of small motors, I agree that I need to figure out the torque to move forward, The motor will be attached to a spool or drum that will hold the line. The basket only needs to be lowered a few feet. from out of reach for a 11 year old to about his waist level. I wanted to find a motor that was big enough to mount an drum of adequate size to hold the amount of line needed to make the distance.

jremington:
Measure the actual force required to raise and lower the basket using a spring scale or luggage scale. A single overhead pulley does not reduce the force required, but two or more pulleys can do so.

Then you can decide on how the motor will do that, and calculate the required motor torque.

Introduction to force and torque.

Sorry, right I forgot to apply mech adv. It will be 1:1 or with drag slightly higher.