Struggling with SPI Programming through arduino, help needed

Hi,

I am very new to Arduino, and I am struggling with an eeprom that i want to access read and write....

I am following the Arduino "Interfacing a Serial EEPROM Using SPI" Tutorial, but when i want to upload to my arduino i get the following message:

C:\Users\bizki\Documents\Arduino\SPIReaderWriter\SPIReaderWriter.ino: In function 'void setup()':

SPIReaderWriter:74: error: The 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. Please use Serial.write() instead.

Serial.print('h',BYTE);

^

C:\Users\bizki\Documents\Arduino\SPIReaderWriter\SPIReaderWriter.ino: In function 'void loop()':

SPIReaderWriter:97: error: The 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. Please use Serial.write() instead.

Serial.print('\n',BYTE);

^

exit status 1 The 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported.

I Copied the code just as it is showed on the tutorial..... I have no experience on programming, but i really need to get this thing working....

I have ordered the SPI reader Writer through eBay, but being in the country i am, it takes 6 - 8 weeks for it to arrive, if it arrives at all.

Please, i need help.

I have bought the Arduino through ebay as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161977675428?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think the tutorial might be for earlier versions of the arduino uno board, not sure....

Any advice or help will be appreciated very much...

Bizkit001: C:\Users\bizki\Documents\Arduino\SPIReaderWriter\SPIReaderWriter.ino: In function 'void setup()':

SPIReaderWriter:74: error: The 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. As of Arduino 1.0, the 'BYTE' keyword is no longer supported. Please use Serial.write() instead.

Serial.print('h',BYTE);

Replace those with

Serial.print('h');  // skip BYTE argument

For sending characters it doesn't matter if you use Serial.print() or Serial.write(). When it comes to numbers, Serial.print() converts its arguments to string format, then sends the bytes representing the characters, while Serial.write() takes a single byte value and sends it as-is.

Serial.print(42);     // sends ascii codes (bytes) for '4' and '2'
   Serial.write(42);     // sends value 42 as one byte

I just googled your error, first result finds a solution...you have the tools, use them.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=93514.0

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If you still have problems.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code. It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

Thanks,

I am a very newby and do not know allot... I am forced to try and modify an eeprom, because the only person around this part of the country who can do this, has lost my only working eeprom, and he does not want to help to fix the problem he created.

It is an eeprom from my car's ecu, he lost the coding for my specific model and now my car is only revving up to 3000rpm....

I need to read another car's eeprom that has the same coding as mine, and then just extract it to work in my car and with my key coding.....

I am sorry that i did not post right, but i have allot on my mind and did not read the "how to Post...."

Very sorry about that...

Hi,

I would be going to an after market tuning company that does that sort of EEPROM work and get it done professionally. Get an ECU from the wreckers yard.

In hindsight, you should keep the original EEPROM it belongs to you.

Tom.... :)

I did do just that, but there is only one guy doing it professionally around here...... He lost my original dump file, and the eeprom chip is now part of a bucket full of eeprom..... There is no way of finding it again....... there ar probably 5000 eeprom chips in that bucket....hahaha....

but i think i might just manage now with the arduino.....

Is there a sofftware that recognises the arduino as a reader / writer, which i can use to read the eeprom...?

I have changed the code and it uploaded to arduino, and when i do a serial monitor, it shows me numbers an ff, but do not know where it starts and ends, every number pops up in intervals and then it just carries on and on.....