Student response system

Hey everyone. I am a science teacher who wants to implement a student response system in class (for high school use); if you remember from university they are called "clickers". I need something cheap and easy to implement. This idea is:

• Each student has a cheap clicker to answer multiple choice. (no need to type in a short responses)
  • Each clicker will be assigned to a student so attendance is possible. This can be just an additional button
  • Needs to be wireless data transmission so bluetooth, wifi, etc.
  • Additionally I do want to play Jeopardy in class so also be able to program to see who presses a certain button first.

I do not want to consider using apps and students bring in a phone. Students get distracted.

Right now I might look into buy really cheap bluetooth keyboards or keypad devices. Honestly I don't know how to approach this. I found a few ardunio projects but they aren't really complete.
I don't know much about programming. I understand the basics as I have learn a tiny bit of basic in my early teens. I found this YT video about transceiver modules which makes me think this idea isn't out of my reach Youtube video on transcievers . Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

How many students (clickers)?

groundFungus:
How many students (clickers)?

Ideally 1 clicker per student. If its that not realistic then I'll have a class set of 20-30. If that's still not achievable then maybe a set of 8-10 to use for the jeopardy game. Again it just need output of maybe A, B, C, D, E... and a identifier of which clicker it is?

I hope this is achievable lol. Thanks in advanced.

How many students?

Are you planning to build 20 or 30 Arduino based "clicker" devices - that sounds like a lot of work no matter how you go about it. And they will need to be robust so they don't break the second time they are used.

Designing a system that will send messages to a master unit should be straightforward. But creating a wireless system that allows you to identify which button was pressed first is not going to be easy. For example if two units transmit at the same time both messages will be garbled. Closely synchronised clocks on every device might be a solution so they can each record the time (in millisecs) when their button was pressed. But how do you ensure that the clock on Unit-K is showing exactly the same time to the nearest millisec as the clock on Unit-M.

...R

If you remember from university they are called "clickers"

I didn't go to university...

If you search on your favourite retail web site for 433MHz remote control you can find things like this:
4 channel remote control
Single channel remote control

A few of those and a Mega (lots of inputs) will probably get you a long way.

pmagowan:
How many students?

not sure hopefully class size 30?

Robin2:
Are you planning to build 20 or 30 Arduino based "clicker" devices - that sounds like a lot of work no matter how you go about it. And they will need to be robust so they don't break the second time they are used.

Designing a system that will send messages to a master unit should be straightforward. But creating a wireless system that allows you to identify which button was pressed first is not going to be easy. For example if two units transmit at the same time both messages will be garbled. Closely synchronised clocks on every device might be a solution so they can each record the time (in millisecs) when their button was pressed. But how do you ensure that the clock on Unit-K is showing exactly the same time to the nearest millisec as the clock on Unit-M.

...R

Ah I see. Ok then maybe I can start with a jeopardy mode with buzzers. One button per group, 5-6 groups/buzzers. Using what you've said about the timing issue, instead of sending data we just turn an LED on. So like maybe 5 different colored LED or one multicolored LED telling me which group press first (and any successive presses will not be displayed).
Edit: for the jeopardy button I think this might work.

The clickers can be a separate project where it doesn't matter who press first or not. Just needs to be an identifier for who's response is who's. Just to be safe, it will only take multiple choice reponses so like A, B, C, D, E or integers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I won't be taking in text based responses.

Would any of these be somewhat more feasible? Thanks!

PerryBebbington:
I didn't go to university...

If you search on your favourite retail web site for 433MHz remote control you can find things like this:
4 channel remote control
Single channel remote control

A few of those and a Mega (lots of inputs) will probably get you a long way.

With the RF modules, would you be able to identify who's response is whos?

With the RF modules, would you be able to identify who's response is whos?

They come as a pair, transmitter and receiver. Each pair should be unique and and individually identifiable. There are probably receivers that will respond to more than one fob and identify which fob was used, but I have not looked for those.

So, you buy as many pairs as you need, or maybe just a small quantity to test with, and connect the output of each to a different input on a Mega and then you can use the Mega to do whatever you need, for example to indicate which was pressed first, or count the responses or whatever you can think of.

PerryBebbington:
So, you buy as many pairs as you need, or maybe just a small quantity to test with, and connect the output of each to a different input on a Mega and then you can use the Mega to do whatever you need, for example to indicate which was pressed first, or count the responses or whatever you can think of.

And will be completely unable to handle collisions. :roll_eyes:

Paul__B:
And will be completely unable to handle collisions. :roll_eyes:

How do you mean?

Two transmissions at once, no response.

Paul__B:
Two transmissions at once, no response.

Possibly true. You know from my other posts that I like to experiment and I encourage others to do the same. Maybe deviatorz will find they work well enough for his purposes, maybe not. He will have learnt something while finding out.

PerryBebbington:
They come as a pair, transmitter and receiver. Each pair should be unique and and individually identifiable. There are probably receivers that will respond to more than one fob and identify which fob was used, but I have not looked for those.

The 4 button PT2262/PT2272 encoder/decoder based key fobs remote that I bought were all identical by default. That is any remote would work with any receiver. The circuit board has provisions for jumpers to use different codes so with a pretty simple modification one could configure them as unique pairs.