(sub) mm accurate positioning on very small area(25cmx25cm)

Hello, i want to built a project, where i need to track a device mm accurate. The area is very small around the size of an a4 piece of paper. The solution need to be despite that cheaper than 100€ The object will be something like a pen(it is ok if it would be bigger) which will be hold by a hand so i cant use a Camera, because the hand could block the vision . I don't know if this is possible. I thought about Bluetooth but know I found out that this is not accurate enough. Any Ideas or is this Impossible?

Hi Jonah, I'd suggest you read the tuorials on how to use this forum; You havent given anything like enough information.
Can you use an XY plotter type mechanism? or a camera to locate a free object?

I added some information to the post. I don't have really Special requirements about the size or technology. Even thought you are quite right, i would have needed to give some Infos in the First Place like that it would be hold by a hand.

jona111:
Hello, i want to built a project, where i need to track a device mm accurate. The area is very small around the size of an a4 piece of paper. The solution need to be despite that cheaper than 100€

Buy a graphics tablet.

...R

Good Idea but with the Tracking i want to get around using a graphics Tablet.

jona111:

Get around where?

…R

jona111:

So you are building a graphics tablet to get around the need to use a graphics tablet? :slight_smile:
"Livescribe" uses special paper and a camera on the pen to track the pen's position on the paper.
What aspect of a graphics tablet are you trying to avoid?

I want that you could draw normal on normal paper, but you would also have what is written digitally.

Perhaps you can find a graphics tablet that allows writing on a sheet of paper, placed on top of it.

Or, send your digital drawing to a printer.

Or use a scanner or camera to turn the paper image into a digital image.

It used to be possible to get pressure sensitive touch screens that are just glass (i.e. see-through). I don't know if they are still available. With one of them you could probably get results with a sheet of paper on top of it and writing with a ball-point pen.

...R

Sounds exactly like a graphics tablet. :roll_eyes:

There are a couple of different technologies.