Substitute Arduino for Hayward Remote Control

Hi all. So, the Arduino community is large and diverse enough that I’m hoping there are some swimming pool equipment authorities out there.

I have a Hayward Aqua Plus (model PL-PLUS) controller for my saltwater pool. This unit has a 4-wire connection for a wired remote control (Hayward AQL-WW-P-4 or AQL-SS-6B). I’d like to instead connect a homebrew Arduino project.

Anybody have information on the electrical spec for this interface or the communication protocol used? Could be as simple as power, ground and RS232 TX / RX? Or, maybe half-duplex RS485?

Thanks.

See what info You can get from and about Hayward to begin.

Railroader:
See what info You can get from and about Hayward to begin.

Sorry, not quite getting you. Are you suggesting that Hayward may be able / willing to supply the info? If so, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

gfvalvo:
Are you suggesting that Hayward may be able / willing to supply the info? If so, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Who else is likely to have it?

...R

Have it? Yes. Willing to give it out? We'll see.

It just seemed to me the kind of thing someone may have hacked already. And, that someone might have been in this community.

But, you're right. I won't know until I try.

I really doubt that Hayward will be prepared to give out details of their interface - they're in the business of selling hardware after all.

Take a look here:http://www.desert-home.com. I think he may be using Hayward equipment and he was able to reverse engineer the protocols.

Thanks.