Substituting a Matchport B/G for the Xport?

Instead of using the Xport, I'd like to connect the Arduino wirelessly. By replacing the Xport with a Matchport b/g and connecting the same TX, RX, RTS and CTS pins - is that enough to get the arduino to communicate wirelessly or are changes to the code necessary?

(I'm referring to ladyada's xport shield config. I posted on her forums, no response yet)

Thank you.

I just got my matchport working. I'm not familiar with the xport shield, but I remember reading that it is not compatible with the matchport.

Getting the matchport working is pretty easy. You'll need to power it off its own 3.3v. You can't power it off the arduino 3.3v because it will draw too much current. I don't use the flow control, so its just Tx and Rx.

As far as code goes, I just use the normal serial communications commands on the arduino side and I wrote a java applet for the webpage to start a socket connection to the matchport which simply passes commands to the arduino through the serial port.


Hmmm....So all you connected was the TX, RX to each other (opposite of course). Can you post the code please? Thanks for the help.

Yea, I don’t really have any need for flow control at this point. In the future I may need the RTS/CTS to trigger interrupts or something, but right now I’m sending/recieving a small number of bytes that aren’t time-critical, so I haven’t bothered with it.

I’m just getting started on my project (aquarium data-logger and control system), so the code I am using now is just for testing purposes. All my code does right now is turn an LED on and off via a webpage w/ a java applet stored on the matchport webserver. Here is a link that might help you get started with some example java code (scroll down the page to get to it):**&p_li=&p_topview=1

You can get away with a much simpler java code, but this will get you started.

The arduino code is just some thing like this:

if (Serial.available() >= 5){ //reading a single 5 byte command
for (int i = 0; i <= 4; i++) {
MPresponse =
MPresponse[5] = ‘\0’; //add null character to end of string
if (strcmp(MPresponse, “LEDON”) == 0) { // turn LED on
else if (strcmp(MPresponse, “LEDOF”) == 0) { //turn LED off
The actual code I am using is on a different computer, so there may be bugs in what I have written here. This was just to give you an idea.

Thank you for your help!