Suggestion for a new fearure

Maybe Arduino Forum should add a feature to search a person's profile on the forum, and see the profile. This should be accessible in the Profile menu. Hope Arduino Forum adds this feature.

.. Arnav

ArnavPawarAA:
Maybe Arduino Forum should add a feature to search a person's profile on the forum,

I don't understand.

There is not much stuff in a person's profile. Why would there be a need for a search capability?

...R

I think such a feature would be undesirable as it could expose people to spam or spam PM's

Certainly not a feature I could support without added protection to other users.

Robin2:
I don't understand.

There is not much stuff in a person's profile. Why would there be a need for a search capability?

...R

ballscrewbob:
I think such a feature would be undesirable as it could expose people to spam or spam PM's

Certainly not a feature I could support without added protection to other users.

I acknowledge both the statements. But the main reason I want this to be added, is to send PM to a person by searching only their name.

If you people don't like the "profile search" feature, then no problem, I will cancel it but it should add a feature to send a PM by searching the person's name, because it is hard to find that person again if you are trying to send a PM to them. Arduino Forum should adds this.

.. Arnav

ArnavPawarAA:
But the main reason I want this to be added, is to send PM to a person by searching only their name.

That is not what I thought your Original Post said. To me it reads as if you want to search your own Profile.

I certainly don't want you to be able to search my Profile.

Neither do I want you to have a simple way to find names of people for sending PMs. Personal Messages should be used very sparingly and I cannot imagine any legitimate situation in which you would wish to send a PM to someone whose name you don't already have access to.

...R

The type of thing Arnav wants would lead to a rash of unwanted PM's and a bout of bans IMHO.

Even more so if PM's are unsolicited or have no direct bearing to a topic being already discussed.

While I certainly don't like spam and private assistance request PMs, I don't see how the requested feature would increase the potential for abuse. If someone wants a list of links to accounts to send PMs to, you can already get that easily enough:
(link removed)
Or maybe even more attractive if they wanted a high value subset:
(link removed)

I see it as a chance to allow many more people access to lists than would normally.
And with that comes risks that I dont see any benefits from.

Sure if you are a GOOD spammer you can see much more but most of the ones we see would not know up from down. For the most part they are simply half baked opportunist spammers. Even the more clever ones are usually brought down PDQ by thier own inept methods.

As moderators we also get to see much more than a regular user too but with that comes a certain type of responsibility that I think we all take very seriously.

I think a large majority of senior users like yourself also dislike PM help requests, so would it be worth opening an easy to use flood gate to drive them out or cause a rash of angst that taints the forum.

Ok, now I know that this feature is not safe for everyone on this forum, every spammer will disturb the moderators. Please reply here with a confirmation to take down this thread. I will delete it.

.. Arnav

There’s no need to delete it. You are welcome to present your suggestions here, other forum members are welcome to reply with their opinions, and Arduino is welcome to decide whether or not they want to implement the suggestions. As long as we maintain a a reasonably polite and productive discussion, it’s all good.

@ArnavPawarAA

You cannot delete it.
That must be done by a moderator.
I would prefer it remains in case anyone else comes up with a similar idea so they are aware of the thoughts provided.

If you really want it gone then now is the time to use the "report to moderator" option.
I wont do it but I am sure another moderator will consider it.

ballscrewbob:
@ArnavPawarAA

You cannot delete it.
That must be done by a moderator.
I would prefer it remains in case anyone else comes up with a similar idea so they are aware of the thoughts provided.

If you really want it gone then now is the time to use the "report to moderator" option.
I wont do it but I am sure another moderator will consider it.

Ok. Now I have abandoned this thread. : )

The “search for members” control seems to have lost a few filter options, or am I remembering it as it was when I was a mod?

Here's what it looks like for me:

pert:
Here's what it looks like for me:

Yes, apart from the email check-box, that's what it looks like to me.
It used to be possible to apply date ranges to registration dates and had all kinds of other filters.
I wonder when that got knobbled. And why.

pert:
While I certainly don't like spam and private assistance request PMs, I don't see how the requested feature would increase the potential for abuse. If someone wants a list of links to accounts to send PMs to, you can already get that easily enough:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Or maybe even more attractive if they wanted a high value subset:
xxxxxxxx

Wow! :astonished:

Perhaps you should not even mention that! :roll_eyes:

Paul__B:
Perhaps you should not even mention that! :roll_eyes:

+1

...R

Perhaps you should not even repeat it!

Modded :-X

To be fair, one of the links is on the forum front page…