Suggestion for the IDE (boards section)

Its only a suggestion for the IDE but maybe move up the 101 (maybe other Intel based) up the board selection menu.

Only a small quibble but have to scroll down quite a ways to get to them even going past NON Arduino boards (lots of ESP related selections).

I hesitate to offer you a suggestion, but I will take a chance. I have made a backup copy of the boards.txt file and then deleted from the working copy all the data for boards that I don't have.

...R

Its actually a good suggestion Robin but I currently have 12 boards ooops make that 13 on a test bed right now with a couple more en route and a couple more waiting in the wings so to speak.

I would post a picture but I will give you a link instead of last weeks test board.

The empty space at the end as of yesterday is getting a little sparse and I may need to duplicate this test bed

In case you are going to ask "do they all get used" the answer is is a resounding YES.
And in answer to your next question "what for" Create DEV and any library tests I need to perform.
Also use it to test users sketches and be able to give answers based on events.

Current trying to bring some VM's online too to be able to use them in different OS's

I don't have every ESP but at least 4 of them.
I don't own every Arduino (yet)

So I guess I could do a board list slightly cut down but would only have to add back to it again quite soon.

My point wasn't even about cutting down the list anyway.
It was about prioritising the closer / truer / affiliated Arduino brands UP the list in favour of clones and ESP's.

Ballscrewbob:
My point wasn't even about cutting down the list anyway.
It was about prioritising the closer / truer / affiliated Arduino brands UP the list in favour of clones and ESP's.

I have not explored it myself but I wonder if the order in the IDE is dictated by the order in the Boards.txt file?

...R

Robin2:
the order in the IDE is dictated by the order in the Boards.txt file?

That's correct, but Ballscrewbob is talking about the order the cores are shown in. It's related to the alphabetical order of the vendor folder names. That's why esp8266 comes before Intel. The strange thing is that the order goes Arduino SAMD, Arduino AVR, Arduino SAM and Intel i586 comes before arc32 so I don't know what determines the order of cores by the same vendor. Cores installed to the {sketchbook}/hardware folder are shown below any core in the Arduino15/packages folder but they also follow alphabetical order of the vendor folder. I know they modified Library Manager to show Arduino and friends' libraries at the top and it looks like Boards Manager is the same.

I see no benefit in making some arbitrary order change to the Boards Menu. Maybe Ballscrewbob would find it useful to have the 101 listed above esp8266, I feel the opposite. The real solution would be to make the IDE configurable enough that each user could modify the menus to their preference. I always prefer programs that allow that sort of thing but the Arduino developers tend to avoid adding any unnecessary extra complexity to the IDE and that feature would certainly fall into that category.

pert:
It's related to the alphabetical order of the vendor folder names.

I know it would be a big KLUDGE but I wonder could you trick the IDE by modifying the vendor names and prefixing them by AA AB AC etc

...R

@ Robin Thats that is certainly something I didnt think of. Thanks.

EDIT...This weeks DEV board

Robin2:
I wonder could you trick the IDE by modifying the vendor names and prefixing them by AA AB AC etc

You can do that with manually installed cores(in {sketchbook}/hardware) but the cores installed via Boards Manager don't show up unless there is a matching entry in one of the JSON files so if you change the name of any of those vendor folders they don't show up in the Board menu anymore. You'd have to actually modify the JSON file also, which is a bit tricky since the IDE is going to try to replace your local copy of the file with the online version every time it checks for an update. You could hack around this with the 3rd party cores where you can specify the URL in preferences because you can specify file:// URLS but then you're not going to get update notifications. It's a bit more tricky with the standard Arduino JSON file since that URL is hardcoded into the IDE. I think there is a way to put a development JSON file in Arduino15 folder that will override the downloaded one, this is done by giving it a specific file name which I never got to work when I tried it a while back and I don't remember the specifics but I can dig it up if you want to have a go at that. Again, this will not be automatically updated when new core versions are released.

The other tricky thing about renaming the vendor folder name is that this will break other cores that reference the renamed core since they identify the referenced core by the vendor, for example:

324.bootloader.tool=arduino:avrdude

is referencing the Arduino AVR Boards core by the vendor name, arduino.

pert:
You can do that with manually installed cores(in {sketchbook}/hardware) but the cores installed via Boards Manager don't show up unless there is a matching entry in one of the JSON files so if you change the name of any of those vendor folders they don't show up in the Board menu anymore. You'd have to actually modify the JSON file also, which is a bit tricky since the IDE is going to try to replace your local copy of the file with the online version every time it checks for an update.

More evidence to support my opinion that developers shoud spend their time more usefully writing an explanation about how to do a simple task manually rather than creating complex "tools" that make any slight variation almost impossible. [/rant]

...R

I think adding more powerful features to the IDE is a good thing if they're well though out but it's absolutely essential to properly document these features. Arduino is supposed to be friendly to learning, poor or no documentation is the antithesis of that. The test Boards Manager URL feature I mentioned previously is a perfect example. If I hadn't happened to see the developer's comment on the issue:

I never would have known about the test Boards Manager JSON file feature. And if someone hadn't brought up a related subject they never would have even mentioned it. That's just ridiculous to spend the time adding things like that and not tell anyone about it. You can't expect the average Arduino user to go digging through the IDE source code to find stuff like this and even though I knew that issue report was there and knew some appropriate search keywords I still didn't find it after spending quite a bit of time searching. The only way I finally found it was that I had it on a "to do" list of things I've been meaning to add to the GitHub wiki eventually. It's so much more difficult for someone like me to document these features than it is for the developer who actually wrote the code and understands it the best but they don't make that little bit of extra effort. There are several other undocumented "secret" features I know of and I'm sure there are at least a few more I'm not aware of.

Agree 110% with Reply #9. Especially this bit

It's so much more difficult for someone like me to document these features than it is for the developer who actually wrote the code

...R