Suggestion for Wireless Transmitter and Receiver

I am making a tracked robot with arduino. I am looking to have an arduino uno as the transmitter and an arduino mega as the receiver. It will only have to send a simple left on or off and right on or off for the tracks for now, although i may add a robotic arm in the future. They need to have a range more than 1 mile, with fairly straightforward programming. I would prefer it to be less than $100 for both. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

They need to have a range more than 1 mile,

I doubt you well get a license free transmitter with that range.

They need to have a range more than 1 mile, with fairly straightforward programming. I would prefer it to be less than $100 for both. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Good, fast, cheap, chose any two. If the communication is line of sight, then bridged wireless routers with directional hi gain antennas might work.

What about the Xbee Pro 900? It is claimed to have up to 6 mile range.

Good, fast, cheap, chose any two. If the communication is line of sight, then bridged wireless routers with directional hi gain antennas might work.

It will be driving through trees most of the time, so it won't be line of sight.

Natures warning sign: if you don't already see other people with long range wireless bot setups like you want, then there probably is a reason.

What about the Xbee Pro 900? It is claimed to have up to 6 mile range.

Driving thru trees?

Never mind, I think I am going to get a Xbee Pro 60mW, it doesn't have the range, but is cheap, and from what I have heard is pretty reliable.