Suggestion on Arduino's Durability

Hi all,
I have a question about Arduino pro durability. I am making a wireless home power outlet(220V AC) switch using arduino pro and relay that can be controlled with bluetooth(HC-05). I have finished the project and everything works fine and good. Do you think it is durable enough to be used everyday? (Maybe about, 10-12 hours a day)

Btw, i am controlling an internet router and I want to able to turn it off at night from my room with my handphone.

Attached is the schematic i use. I am using the 5v regulator on the arduino’s board and external 3v3 regulator for the bluetooth module.

Many Thanks

I am not going to comment on your project because it involves dangerous voltages.

I have a breadboard arduino (well actually it is on strip board) running for months now controlling a 230v fridge with a relay.

You need to ask yourself if there is any failure mode which would put a person's life at risk - for example they expect the power to be off when it is not - or which might create a risk of fire or other damage to property.

...R

no one can determine if your circuit is safe. as Robin2 said, you need to imagine every possible failure. from just a chip going bad to a mouse getting to the warm unit and shorting out everything.

that said, google for what others have done. you can get a feel for the life expectancy of a unit.

I am with Robin2 on the 'will not comment any more' side. because your Arduino Pro reference and your schematic are two different things. What that is saying is that accuracy and detail are not paramount.

Combining mains voltages with electronics introduces some very serious risks which are not easy to address. For example you need to maintain a sufficient isolation level for all the high voltage components and wires, and ensure that no component failure, broken wire etc could ever expose the low voltage side to a higher voltage than it can tolerate. Unless you're trained and qualified to do this type of design, I suggest you don't. Just because it works and looks safe to a layman, doesn't mean it actually is safe. Just one obscure mistake could burn your house down or give somebody a fatal shock, and if you aren't familiar with the design issues there's a real danger that you will make a mistake.

Not too long ago, I had a need to switch a lamp on with a wall-mounted switch. The circumstances were such that I could not rewire anything in the room. The solution? A nice little unit that plugs into an outlet, and has an outlet to plug the lamp into. The switch is a battery-operated unit that looks a lot like a regular wall-mounted switch, and acts the same way, controlling the unit in the outlet by low-power radio. It was about $30 Cdn.

Two things about it make it ideal for remote control.

1. It is an approved device; UL, CSA, CE, and probably more.
  2. You can wire an Arduino into it without risk of the 230VAC getting back into the low voltage side.

The only consideration then, is what you have plugged into the outlet, which is a consideration in any outlet anyway.

Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate it. I fully understand the risks involving AC current, and I won’t blame anyone for commenting :D. My concern is more about the arduino and the bluetooth module itself. So anybody tried using arduino nonstop? Was it working well? Thanks all.

navivanuva: So anybody tried using arduino nonstop? Was it working well?

Already answered ...

...R

Lots of folks use Ardiuno non-stop 24 hrs a day. No moving parts, so nothing to break. The only thing that can wear out is the EEPROM, and if you're not writing to it constantly that will be fine also. Here's my anecdotal evidence/story: I have a dozen 328P chips running at my fencing club, most as Promini's, couple as DIP chips with the parts to make them like promini. All get 5V from offboard, so onboard regulators are bypassed. We go to the club 3 or 4 times a week, hit the button on a power strip to power up the 6 walwarts that drive everything, couple hours later go home. Been doing that for 4+ years now, everything is still working. The 5 main units get 12V and an off board 7805 makes 5V, the 12V goes thru a 60+ foot cable with Gnd and a 5V level Tx line to the 6 remote units that have offboard 7805 to make 5V at the far end. The 6th main unit has a 5V wallwart and a Pololu.com 5V to 12V boost converter. It uses more 5V power for a MAX7221 to drive time & score digits, and for RF remote control receiver. In winter temps get down to 50-55F when we are not there, in summers we've fenced in late afternoon when it was 94F, and who knows how it was before we got there. 96F was too hot tho!