suggestions for a Motion Capture system using passive infrared

I am working on building my own motion capture system;

It would work by having infrared lights on (at least when the frame is taken). Reflective markers would reflect it back at an camera capable of capturing infrared light;

Do you have any advice on what camera i could buy? i know a solution would be to take the IR filter off an old camera but i am not knowledgeable enough to know how to do that

Is this project even possible with arduino? The goal is to have about 4 cameras capturing frames (60 fps if possible) from different angles and sending it to my computer for processing (so the cameras/arduino would only have to send the raw image).

any help or advice is appreciated!

Why use cameras? The description makes it look like a usual light barrier using light detectors.

Railroader:
Why use cameras? The description makes it look like a usual light barrier using light detectors.

The goal is to put reflective markers on anatomical landmarks (e.g., the knee). Infrared light would reflect off those markers back to the cameras which would send the frame to my computer, which would process where those markers are relating to each other (i know how to do all that processing, I just need to get the frames to my computer)
sorry if my original post was lacking in details, I tried keeping it short and failed

Okey. Forget about the usual Arduinos. They don’t have capacity for such large amounts of data as pictures. Raspberry possibly. Some ESP devices maybe.

By the way. If the moving objects are prepaired carrying reflectors, why go for IR and not usual light, eventually laser? Al dom´ne in Daylight....

Railroader:
By the way. If the moving objects are prepaired carrying reflectors, why go for IR and not usual light, eventually laser? Al dom´ne in Daylight....

that would work yes, but the goal with the infrared camera is to reduce as much "noise" as possible, since the only reason I'm collecting frames is to track the markers, I don't need to worry about color or anything, it is my best knowledge that infrared motion capture would help with that

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Railroader:
By the way. If the moving objects are prepaired carrying reflectors, why go for IR and not usual light, eventually laser? Al dom´ne in Daylight…

In image processing, if you can do your segmentation optically, you reduce the processing load, which is why devices like ANPR use IR illuminators with IR notch filters on the cameras. With retro-reflective number plates, even in bright daylight, just about all the camera sees is the background of the plate, because there is very little natural IR of the chosen wavelength.

In daylight, the filter material looks opaque - I’ve often wondered if it would be possible to build stealth plates, using numerals cut out of filter on a reflective background, but never had the balls to try it :smiley:

Okey. My idea was how to produce light strong enough to be reflected to the detectors to receive. No info about range, distance etc. in the topic gave me the idea.

The Arduino-compatible PIXY camera can be equipped with an IR bandpass filter and used to automatically track IR emitters. Might work with reflective tape too.