Suggestions for Android + Arduino project

Hi everyone,

New poster here, hoping this is the right place for this. I have a project coming up in the near future that requires me to write an Android app that interfaces with the Arduino Uno R3 that comes in the Official Arduino Starter Kit. I'm quite strong on the Android side of things but brand new to Arduino and microcontrollers in general.

The requirements for my project are to write an Android app that can do the following:

• Connect to the Arduino
  • Act as a controller for various Arduino functions (working with the various capabilities of the starter kit such as LED lights motors etc.)
  • Receive data from the Arduino (temperature sensors, tilt, etc.)

As I'm completely new to the Arduino side of things I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with tutorials/resources suggestions on how I can approach developing a project like this. Some specific points:

• How do I write an interface for two way communication between the Android app and Arduino
  • What communication protocol is optimal for getting this up and running (bluetooth, wifi etc)
  • Will I need to write any Arduino-side application code to support this?

That's all I can think of for now, but I may definitely be overlooking some things. Any guidance/assistance to help me on the path towards learning how to build this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

-AG

This may give you enough of an overview to build on: