Suggestions on a structure of project and motors used.

I am working on a project, where I need to build a mechanical crane (like construction crane), sort of, for pick and place system.

The only variation here for my crane is my entire arm (like we see in construction cranes) should move up and down and move 360% as well.

I am thinking of using the concept of 3D printers, which has modules which can move up and down, and along x axis as well with variation, that I don’t have the entire square frame but just the "T" structure sort of.

Given the length of the structure is within 1 meter and the load on the arm might not be more than 300 g.

I am thinking of using V Slots 20X40, and nema 17 stepper motors to build this structure. Will this be sufficient? Is there anything which might be used and readily available like slider modules for vertical and horizontal movement?

uday8486:
I am working on a project, where I need to build a mechanical crane (like construction crane), sort of, for pick and place system.

The only variation here for my crane is my entire arm (like we see in construction cranes) should move up and down and move 360% as well.

I am thinking of using the concept of 3D printers, which has modules which can move up and down, and along x axis as well with variation, that I don’t have the entire square frame but just the "T" structure sort of.

Given the length of the structure is within 1 meter and the load on the arm might not be more than 300 g.

I am thinking of using V Slots 20X40, and nema 17 stepper motors to build this structure. Will this be sufficient? Is there anything which might be used and readily available like slider modules for vertical and horizontal movement?

There are construction cranes and then there are construction cranes. A drawing of what you have in mind will certainly help.

May I suggest you are looking for solutions before you have designed your machine. I think BEARINGS will be your biggest challenge. Design your crane first and then think about powering it.

Paul

Thanks Paul_KD7HB. I will get some designs done before coming back.