Suggestions on an interactive rug - sensors and mp3

Hi everyone!
I'm onto my second Arduino project...please bear with my ignorance.

I'm building an interactive rug with pressure and touch sensor that will trigger sounds (recorded mp3).

So first of all: sensors.
• Pressure sensors: I thought of using velostat to make pressure sensors (placed under the rug that the children will walk on)

•Touch sensors (made with conductive fabric? conductive paint?)
So my first question is...do I need a specific capacitative shield to detect touch of I can just use the Capsense library?

•Sound: the audio files are recording so I thought storing them on a SD card and using a mp3 shield to communicate with the Arduino...the VS1053 maybe?
I do need the sounds to play one on top of the other if some sensors are triggered...and I can't understand if this will work

Thanks so much for any inputs!

mazzacake:
• Pressure sensors: I thought of using velostat to make pressure sensors (placed under the rug that the children will walk on)

That, or a generic FSR, should do the job just fine.

•Touch sensors (made with conductive fabric? conductive paint?)
So my first question is...do I need a specific capacitative shield to detect touch of I can just use the Capsense library?

I'd use TTP223 based capacitive touch sensors. Much easier to work with. Can be placed under a thin rug (it will read through 3-5mm of material just fine).

•Sound: the audio files are recording so I thought storing them on a SD card and using a mp3 shield to communicate with the Arduino...the VS1053 maybe?
I do need the sounds to play one on top of the other if some sensors are triggered...and I can't understand if this will work

No experience with that player. The common DF Player Mini can play only one sound at a time. Maybe you can use a Rasperry Pi for that job. At least it does have the horsepower needed.

Thank you!
In the end I bought the ada fruit capacitative shield and I'll use a spark fun WAV reader so that I can overlap sounds.
The only thing now is experiment with the sensors and try to build something sturdy...
I'll come back with updates!
thanks

Good luck, especially with that "something sturdy" part. Don't underestimate the forces applied to it by a dancing person, especially the shear forces :slight_smile: