suitable operating system for 8bit ardunio microcontroller

hello

i just want to know which operating system is suitable for franzis arduino microcontroller atmega 168 which is 8bit micro controller

and may i know how to install on operating system on this micro-controller

best-regards

This microcontroller has 2kB of RAM, so there is no operating that is suitable for it. You just write programs for it and the advantage you get: you have complete control over the hardware. The drawback: you have to control the hardware yourself.

hi actually i am completely new to micro-controllers and according to your message their is no operating system for arduino 8bit micro-controller but when i searching for operating system for arduino i found like Duinos ,FreeRtos ...my project is car2car communication using arduino with CAN,wifi, and tools like atmelstudio and ice3 debugger and so if there is no operating system for 8bit microcontroller so is there any chances to do the project in Atmelstudio with out operating system

thanking you

so if there is no operating system for 8bit microcontroller so is there any chances to do the project in Atmelstudio with out operating system

Yes, there is. You might want to use the Arduino IDE instead of Atmelstudio because there is much more software available for Arduino and especially if your new to Microcontrollers the Arduino IDE will be easier to handle. But it's just a matter of personal preferences, so you can use whatever you want. If you're new to microcontrollers, start with easier tasks than using a CAN bus, to get familiar with the development tools and the hardware interfaces. Once you have some experience move to the more complex opportunities.

but when i searching for operating system for arduino i found like Duinos ,FreeRtos

It depends on how you define an operating system if these projects are really operating systems or just development frameworks. In my eyes they are the later your opinion may vary.

Even if an operating system was available why would you use it. It would just waste precious memory and clock cycles.

...R

quote "Even if an operating system was available why would you use it. It would just waste precious memory and clock cycles."

thanking you for your replay.. in my university i am working internship topic called car2car communication with canbus shield to other platforms like planet through xigbee and to cloud through wifi so my incharge asking which operating system are you going to use for operating arduino atmege 168 frazis 8 bit-microcontroller to accomplish this project so basically i told hime like freertos,duinos are available and can i develope this project using atmelstudio or arduino ide instead of using realtime operating systems ....thanking you in advance

so my incharge asking which operating system are you going to use for operating arduino atmege 168

Sounds like a trick-question to me - a 168 has only 8096 bits of RAM.

thank you so much for your replay i will discuss with my incharge about your valuable feedback and suggestions

bestregards

dear pylon

thank you so much for your feedback and info

bestregards
battini

Not correct:

a 168 has only 8096 bits of RAM

A 168 has: • High Endurance Non-volatile Memory Segments – 16KBytes of In-System Self-Programmable Flash program memory – 512Bytes EEPROM – 1KBytes Internal SRAM

1KBytes Internal SRAM

Actually, that does sound like 8096 bits of RAM.

"CrossRoads"

i am a student doing internship on car2car communication using arduino atmega168 franzis... is there any possible to use RTOS in this board

thanking you

{Shamefaced} 8192 bits {/shamefaced}

I'll get me coat.

Ah - you did say bits - I read it quick & saw bytes. Course those 8192 bits are accessed as part of a byte.

battini, I don't know, I just write the embedded program to do what's needed. For my fencing scoring machine, I had it running 3 main tasks - checking the elapsed time and update the display, checking if RF commands came in via remote, and checking if a touch was made. So the "RTOS" in that case was really just 3 if statements. The vast majority of the time no if statement was true, and when one was true it took less than 1/10 of second to do the needed action, which was the time level I was tracking. You could probably write your code similarly.

@battini, I wrote a simple demo sketch showing how to manage several things at the same time in the first post of this Thread. It may give you an idea of how easy it is to do things without an operating system.

…R

battini: "CrossRoads"

i am a student doing internship on car2car communication using arduino atmega168 franzis... is there any possible to use RTOS in this board

thanking you

Why do you think you need an operating system? When googling i can indeed find operating systems for arduinos (but not sure if they'll work on the arduino you selected, since you've got a fairly light avr in there). This is a tiny microcontroller (not micrprocessor) with 1kb of ram (Kb, not Mb or Gb, it has less than 1 millionth the amount of memory compared to an average pc these days). as others mentioned, there are indeed 'OS'es' available, but they're more in the range of libraries that allow for certain extra functionality, if you don't need that functionality, don't use them, or assume you need them. Some people mentioned that it might be a trick question of your boss, and i do agree. If you don't know what a microcontroller is, and how to use one, you might believe you need an OS on there (you really really REALLY don't). Either that or he doesn't know what he's talking about either, and is looking for something that isn't needed, and is assuming the arduino is far closer to a modern computer than it actually is.

Why don't you follow the suggestion someone else made in this thread: start doing some basic arduino tutorials, see how to program it, and realise that you can get it to do things without needing an "OS". An OS is required for abstracting the modern microprocessors and near infinite possible hardware combinations to something a bit easier to handle. Not for managing a very basic 8-bit microcontroller.