Sun tracking concept -- feasible, or existing?

I’m a noobie, though I have had some electronics experience once upon a time.

My idea is to use arduino to build a sun-tracking device for use with solar devices. The way I envision this, is to use two photocells, one shaded on the left, the other shaded on the right. Arduino would constantly compare the values of the two cells, and when the one on the left dropped below the one on the right, it would activate (possibly via a servo shield) a motor or servo which would then turn a rotating table a couple degrees. The entire project would rotate with the turntable. When the output from the left cell becomes comparable to the output from the right cell, the motor would stop. This process would repeat throughout the day, keeping the turntable and its contents aligned with the sun.

Is this project feasible with arduino? Or perhaps someone has already done something similar?

Thank you!
Mark

Is this project feasible with arduino?

Feasible and cool!

Youtube Video of Sun Tracking Solar Panel w/ Arduino

Thanks for the reply!

I can’t tell just by looking at the video – does this project require a servo-shield? Or could it be made without one?

Thanks again!
Mark

I can’t tell just by looking at the video – does this project require a servo-shield? Or could it be made without one?

Generally speaking you never need a shield. It just makes connections and general prototyping a lot easier:)

But yes, it could be made without one.