Sunrise Systems NXTP-7x962M

I am seeking help from experienced LED sign and controller wizards. This is my Sunrise Systems NXTP-7x962M transit LED sign that I bought on eBay last week. Here are the terminals in the back. Anybody know how I can build a controller for it so I can get it working to do things like say "Merry Christmas", "Happy birthday!", etc.? The Sunrise Systems company sent me a pdf document on the manual: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?hhcccyy6u2e5eus I hope to get help from someone here. I am an LED display enthusiast and I wanna make this project come to life.

I read only a couple of pages of the data sheet and it says it is RS232 data @ 9600 Baud. There was mention of data packets, formatting... some kind of control system for multiple signs and it didn't look real complicated. just some message 'packets' and I thought I saw the protocol explained as well, it looked like it started on page 4 first paragraph. I do think if you looked at the data sheet more carefully and then asked again we might have better answers... I'm sorry but I just don't have the time to read and decipher a lot here unless it can be done in less than 2 or 3 minutes. that I think is your task. If at all possible I will answer to the best of my knowledge but I don't have time for what is for me wasted learning.

Doc

For those who have time to read the user manual for this, I am attaching the NXTP pdf document Sunrise Systems emailed me.

NXTP User Manual.pdf (153 KB)

so... we are supposed to read and digest the manual so we can write sketches for you? The message format looks simple enough especially if you forget anything except that one display. That makes your job easier as you don't meed to broadcast data to specific message boards or read system status or anything else... There is a good possibility that, If the company is still around you might sweet talk a salesman into giving you a basic 1 display program for a PC and thus your issues with writing sketches. Your request seems to be that one of us do the work and then share it here for all to see, I might if there were a lot of those things floating around... but yours is the second one I have ever seen the inside of... and really different from the first one that I did reverse engineer... and I only did that one because the jerk that built it sanded all the numbers off all the chips... Post production, Old thing had 6 eproms and an 8080 Processor...... Totally Irrelevant I think in all fairness had you asked how to start (You know how) or tried to learn enough to try writing a sketch just like all of us have to do my attitude would be different. I am learning and most of my time is spent in learning the language... For what that is worth.

Doc

Well, uh, Doc, I'm simply asking what would be the best suggestion. Should I get some kind of Arduino or something? If so, which Arduino controller would be the best I should use with this? I'm basically seeking help and I'm counting on someone here to help me out. All I'm simply asking for is if anyone here has read that manual, which Arduino controller would be right for it and how can I get it hooked from my computer or whatever? That's all need to know.

Docedison: so... we are supposed to read and digest the manual so we can write sketches for you? The message format looks simple enough especially if you forget anything except that one display. That makes your job easier as you don't meed to broadcast data to specific message boards or read system status or anything else... There is a good possibility that, If the company is still around you might sweet talk a salesman into giving you a basic 1 display program for a PC and thus your issues with writing sketches. Your request seems to be that one of us do the work and then share it here for all to see, I might if there were a lot of those things floating around... but yours is the second one I have ever seen the inside of... and really different from the first one that I did reverse engineer... and I only did that one because the jerk that built it sanded all the numbers off all the chips... Post production, Old thing had 6 eproms and an 8080 Processor...... Totally Irrelevant I think in all fairness had you asked how to start (You know how) or tried to learn enough to try writing a sketch just like all of us have to do my attitude would be different. I am learning and most of my time is spent in learning the language... For what that is worth.

Doc

Well, so far, the only thing I can get the LED display to do is the test pattern:

Now the only thing left to do is to write a script in the Arduino Software so it can output any text I type to the LED display.
Any suggestions on what I should write for the scripting? Any and all help is welcome.

With the information contained in the manual you should be able to write a sketch for ANY Arduino Product available. For the Arduino you will need an RS232 Adapter of some find as the Arduino doesn't do 'Pure RS2332" but rather TTL RS232 ( A difference in signalling Levels not protocol... A smart 10 year old could do it with a Commodore Vic 20... If he could find a working one. For That matter If you had an adaptor cable and Win XP installed you could do it from Hyperterminal... EASILY. There is a format to the packets that seems well described in the Manual... Put your message in the right packet format and use an UNO from the Serial terminal built into the IDE to send your "Happy Birthday Message" as I remember that's Why you bought it. Had you made an attempt to start the project ant one of us might well have done the hard parts for you at best. At the worst If you had shown another attitude besides the one you did and made an attempt, possibly failed (Maybe) at your attempt there are any number of us here that might well have bent over backwards, MY SELF VERY MUCH INCLUDED, to get your project a reality for you and our reward would have been the contemplation of the smile on your face.. It's different for me and a few others of my generation. I am entirely self trained, left school in the 9th grade and along the way become a respected engineer in My Peer Group. I ENJOY challenges, In March of this year I bought my first Arduino as I Need both to entertain myself and to keep mentally active so NOW Finally I get to do daily what I dreamed about for 45 years of working.... PLAY and HAVE FUN. If in your attempts you get stuck (Sooner or later ALL of us HERE do) leave a question in this forum, PM me or Email me with a copy of the manual and an accurate description of of your issues and SOMEONE HERE WILL TRY to HELP, If I can't. My bad attitude towards your request might well have been better phrased and for that I hope you will accept my sincere apology. The fact remains however that this is a forum for Arduino users not a for free engineering service for fatherless electronics equipment. Show me what you have learned and I will try to complete your learning for you... So Get an UNO, there is enough memory for a lot of small sentences and do as almost everyone else did here (Except the authors) and that is START LEARNING. I would be really happy to help as much as I can.

Doc

I have received two new documents from sunrise systems.

Single line 16 char J1587 - specs.txt (2.67 KB)

S0205132 Next Stop Sign Model- NXTP7X962M-xxxx.pdf (46 KB)

What kind of sketches would you suggest I write? Any ideas/suggestions? I'm only asking 'cause I'll need some examples so I'll know what to write.

Docedison: With the information contained in the manual you should be able to write a sketch for ANY Arduino Product available. For the Arduino you will need an RS232 Adapter of some find as the Arduino doesn't do 'Pure RS2332" but rather TTL RS232.

Doc

The manual describes the required header data You provide the data/instruction information and a checksum for the packet I don't remember how wide a packet is but I would be certain that it is as wide as the screen width... in other words the packet is as wide as the display data or the instruction data + the header information. Since the data is transmitted/received at a serial rate of 9600 baud and standard (I think). I really don't remember if it would accept regular (0 - 5V) TTL RS232 or standard (+/- 15V) RS232 . The instructions are simple but somewhat "Clunky" because or the required header and checksum which somewhat complicates matters. The Device "Could" be controlled with a regular TTY device with some thought as to packet construction, it could be (The TTY Terminal) a device to "read a sentence and transmit it to the display or for that matter be easily controlled by a small terminal program for a PC... Something like Real Term or PuTTY. Or it could be done nearly as well on an Arduino where the Arduino is programmed to take serial keyboard data and build packets that could display the data in nearly any format with another another Serial TTL to RS232 converter and an available serial port on an Arduino. The importance of the Arduino is simply to be an attend-able visual data port where the user could use a 16 key keypad and have the Arduino preform various tasks and display the results, capable of scrolling wider messages repeatedly makes the Arduino an easy choice for a controller... Now to find a purpose for it and in a sketch describe the purpose. This is and WAS the only place where there was a lack of [u]purpose[/u] in the OP's request... Program it to do What? until YOU RTFM there is nothing for me to do or for that matter anyone else until [u]someone[/u] Reads That Fine Manual and decides just what is needed from the device because or the added power of the Controller which I suppose is an Arduino Uno... But it could be a Mega... or a Pro Mini. It all depends on the tasks required... IMO

Doc

I have another question. Out of curiosity, can the Arduino be controlled with just a replacable PC keyboard somehow? I mean, how they sell replacement computer keyboards like this: http://www.staples.com/Gear-Head-107-Key-Windows-USB-Keyboard/product_943697 Is it possible to run an LED display sign through something like this with the Arduino? Just wondering.

So im going to bring a dead horse to light.

I came across this post a few months ago, when i myself aquired two of these LED bars. A little bit of googling led me to this thread. I then discovered the world of Arduino! LOVE IT !! Bought a kit and made a few things myself, the lcd to display tempature, blinking lights, even a set of walking legs out of servos and popsicle stick (it scoots more than actual walking lol need to tweek the code a lil more) currently have a few ultrasonic sensors ordered and going to make an autonomous car (hopefully)... but i digress...

Anyways.. I dont know how to control this light bar. .. Ive read this manual, and for some reason it reads like German to me.. Mostly because ive never delt with this kind of coding at all... Im not asking anyone to write a sketch for me, mearly some guidence, or dirrection to some sketches on where examples of this code would be used... im halfway capable of picking apart and tweaking the codes myself. but im still pretty much a novice at Arduino.. Thanks you

I too am working on this for fun I am a newbie when it comes to programming the arduino but I do work fro a transit company that uses these signs in buses I have logged the j1708 bus ..the key to this is in the manual you need to have the right Mid and Pid for this sign it is explained in that manual. To communicate with that sign I use rs485 which is what the a ad b terminal is on the back of the sign it has to be a differential signal there are many rs232 to rs485 converter available for the arduino good luck

did you guys get it to work?

There is a solution available at: https://bobdavis321.blogspot.com/2019/04/arduino-uno-interfaced-to-sunrise.html