Super Minimum Board

What is the absolute minimum that i need for an arduino?
And is it possible to burn the bootloader via serial rs232? (I lost my parallel ICSP :-/)

Do all I need is an atmega8 (internal osc.) and a max233?
I plan on adding other stuff, but i will add that as i go along…

You need some kind of power source, a clock source (internal is ok but unstable) and thats it.
If you want RS232 you need a MAX232/3.

And is it possible to burn the bootloader via serial rs232?

Alas, no.

--Phil.

There are serial interfaced ICSP adapters out there. Atmel's AVRISP (not the mkII) was rs232. I think there are others out there, as well. I've never used one.

-j

Is it possible to program the atmega8 via parallel or do i have to wait for my max233's to come...?

Is it possible to program the atmega8 via parallel or do i have to wait for my max233's to come...?

Yep - and it's the simplest, cheapest type of programmer.

You can use it to burn the bootloader, or burn sketches directly (i.e. not from the IDE) - you can't use it in the typical "press rest on the board and then the upload button in the IDE" way.

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

After i burn the bootloader, can i program arduino programs with the parallel programmer?

Yes you can burn the programs using the parallel programmer after you have burned the bootloader, but if you are going to do this, there is no need to burn the bootloader at all.

The bootloader is not needed to burn programs using the parallel programmer.

If you burn a program using a parallel programmer you write over the bootloader - it won't be there anymore.