super soldering iron

Would someone please invent a soldering iron that has an integral fume extractor, a device that can feed the solder wire, and an automatic tip cleaning mechanism. Please. Next stop, crowd funding.

Why don't you?

perigalacticon:
Would someone please invent a soldering iron that has an integral fume extractor, a device that can feed the solder wire, and an automatic tip cleaning mechanism. Please. Next stop, crowd funding.

Why????
The last thing I would want is all that stuff hanging off the end of my solder iron.
That is what a fume extractor fan and wet sponge or metal sponge is for.
Solder feeder, naaaa.. nothing like instant optical feedback and hand drive to feed my solder.
Holding solder means you can place the solder independent of the iron position or orientation.

Tom... :o :o

Never heard of such a thing, but they probably exist as part of an automated manufacturing rig? For
hand soldering the tactile feedback from the solder as it melts is vital, automated feed would be much
more trouble than it might save.

They almost exist: Auto-Feed Soldering station

hate to think what sort of job it'd make tho.

Yours,
TonyWilk

perigalacticon:

you are describing a MIG Welder.

I have used a MIG welder for several years. Welding farm implements is very different than soldering a PCB.
Welding and soldering are completely different skills in my mind.

Is the soldering iron comfortable to hold and use are the most important for me.
If the soldering iron is not comfortable I will not use it.

artisticforge:
you are describing a MIG Welder.

HAHA... my initial thought as well!

xl97:
HAHA... my initial thought as well!

the good MIG welder cost several hundred if not a thousand times what a good soldering iron costs.

If you decide to build it, please include a gyroscopic stabilizer for us aged "shakies". >:(

I think the solder feeding and gyroscopic stabilization can be handled with a few sensors and an Arduino with some advanced programming :wink: :wink: Something like Ben Heck's super hot glue gun. You might only need a small suction tube near the tip to get the fumes out of there right where they're concentrated.

perigalacticon:
I think the solder feeding and gyroscopic stabilization can be handled with a few sensors and an Arduino with some advanced programming :wink: :wink: Something like Ben Heck's super hot glue gun. You might only need a small suction tube near the tip to get the fumes out of there right where they're concentrated.

I'd like a 3D macro camera with VR goggles so I can have a fully immersive experience.

Get your orders in NOW !!!!

Yours,
TonyWilk

P.S. as well as all other suggestions, I added WiFi 'cos it's IOT !!

TonyWilk:
Get your orders in NOW !!!!

Yours,
TonyWilk

P.S. as well as all other suggestions, I added WiFi 'cos it's IOT !!

If I order it online now, do I get a free set of ceramic knives and one of those little knife sharpeners.
Tom... :slight_smile:
I have my overdrawn credit card ready..

We suspect..... too bulky and too much weight.

Put in kickstarter!

Southpark:

Ahh, its a triceps flexer as well, go to get it on TV shopping channel. :o :o

Southpark:

"too bulky" ? "too much weight" ?

We in the SuperSolder Marketing Department prefer to think in more positive terms...

You will find your Super Solder 5000 to be of substantial construction with automatic anti-shake inertial damping.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Thinking out of the box, scientists at Super Solder realized that by moving the device to be soldered instead of the iron, the size and weight of the iron no longer mattered. As a bonus, wear and tear on the many cables are drastically reduced.

TonyWilk... awesome! Great job with the wiring, what microcontroller is that? :wink: