Surenoo RGB 1602 LCD

Hello,

just got two 1602 RGB LCD with I2C interface. The example code on that page include a file named "Sureeno_Display.h"

I have search for it but cannot find it. Anyone know where I can find it?

Might try this page. for how to use the display.

Thanks a lot. I'll try it one of these days :)

The Surenoo RGB LCD display (16x2) has a AIP31068 as driver for the LCD and a pca9633 as driver for the RGB. You can find both libraries in 'manage libraries'. I have combined both libraries in one new library called 'Surenoo' ;) note: the rgb use only 3 outputs of the pca9633. it is possible with some soldering to use that 4th output also for a led or something.

You may want to have a read of this thread: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=696939.0

There are some h/w issues with that module that causes i2c signal corruption which can lockup up the processor on AVR based boards. I was able to improve it quite a bit by adding a capacitor to the module.

Currently the hd44780 library hd44780_I2Clcd i/o class will run the LCD, but it won't run the backlight. At some point, I'll be adding full support for this LCD and backlight to the hd44780 library.

--- bill

Thanks for the info. I got two of this LCDs but not tested them yet. Guess that will wait until the hd44780 has full support for this LCD.

thehardwareman: Thanks for the info. I got two of this LCDs but not tested them yet. Guess that will wait until the hd44780 has full support for this LCD.

You can use it now with the DFRobot_LCD library.

--- bill

you might download my library from: https://werner.rothschopf.net/202009_arduino_liquid_crystal_wire_en.htm

by the way, you can try the example 50_Convert it will give you a start how to support the Norwegian characters also...

The link in #1 refers to the Seeed Studio model called "Grove - LCD RGB Backlight".

Seeed provide a library, examples, projects, ...

Note that the Seeed LCD uses address 0x62 for the RGB and Surenoo use 0x60. Either edit the rgb_lcd.h file for RGB_ADDRESS Or use the DFRobot library which lets you set the Slave address in the constructor e.g.

DFRobot_LCD(uint8_t lcd_cols,uint8_t lcd_rows,uint8_t lcd_Addr=LCD_ADDRESS,uint8_t RGB_Addr=RGB_ADDRESS);

It would be interesting to hear from anyone that owns the "Grove - LCD RGB Backlight" Does it have a noisy VCC line ? Please post a link or a photo of the Seeed pcb. Surenoo item (or compare with the Surenoo pcb and describe differences)

David.

Edit. I found the Seeed pcb image |500x375 It looks like NO capacitors anywhere on the pcb. But there is no voltage generator either. So I would only expect noise from the PCA9633. It would be very interesting to see how the Seeed display VCC behaves.

From the Seeed web page:

Please pay attention that this LCD only supports 5V system. If you need to work with a 3.3V system, you can check our 16x2 LCD serial.

I'll do when I find the time to test them :)

The library: https://github.com/pe1mxp/Surenoo

For noise reducing on the suply line I have mounted an extra 100pf capacitator between V+ and GND.

You need 100nF ceramic. 100pF will be ineffective.

I suggest that you provide a full-fat constructor that supports different PCA9633 Slave addresses.

The 8-pin chip used in the Seeed LCD is 0x62. The 10-pin chip used in the Surenoo is 0x60. If other manufacturers use the 16-pin package the address might be different.

David.

Sorry, the pf was a typo. The adress can be changed in the .h and it is a one time thing and the adress is without soldering iron fixed. By the way, I use often a programm called MultiSpeedI2Cscanner from Rob Tillaart. Saves a lot of time when using a new component. I have only mounted an 0603 SMD for sure. There is decoupling, but if the PCA9633 does PWM it can give indeed noise. A little noise on a 5V supply is not so problem. Since the regular 78xx, LM317, AMS117 are good noise producers. For my projects I use ULN regulators like TPS7A4700 or ADP 150.

david_prentice: The link in #1... ...display VCC behaves.

From the Seeed web page:

No doubt the PCA9633 gives noise. Decoupling capacitators a so important. Look at boards from 20-30 years ago with normal 16-pins dip IC's. Under every IC is a decoupling capacitator. Also when using RF modules like LORA or NRF24 decoupling can your project make or break.