surveillance robot car

what arduino platform i will use on surveillance robot car, this robot will control by android phone through wifi, it has a video cam can rotate 180 degree's and sensor(motion and obstacle). Help me pls

Almost any arduino can do the wifi android control but it's gonna be hard to get the video through the arduino I would probibly use a wifi IP camera for that the only problem there is that if your not writing your on android app you probibly won't be able to see the camera and controller on the same device.

One option you can do (though it takes more than an Arduino) - is to control the Arduino with a Raspberry Pi (or similar small form-factor computer) on board the vehicle.

The purpose of using such a device is:

1) More powerful machine for hosting a web page and server system 2) Easy to connect to the Arduino 3) Easy to connect many kinds of USB web cameras

So - you basically use the Arduino to control the motors and the pan/tilt servos - set up the Arduino with Firmata - virtually no other coding is needed for the Arduino.

Then on the Pi, install Node.js and write a simple web-form application to grab info from the video stream and plug it on a page, as well as take user input and output the needed actions to the serial port to Firmata (via one of many extensions available for Node.js - a popular and powerful one is called "Johnny Five").

Then all you need to do is have that Node.js script run, then point a browser at it (like the browser on your phone) - and you'll be able to see the streamed video and control the robot platform via the web form.

Now you may wonder "why do I need the Arduino at all - after all, the Pi has GPIO pins?" - which is a very valid question. The best thing I can say is that since the Pi is single threaded, you gain by splitting the processing power up - the Pi can command the Arduino, then continue processing as needed (without waiting or consuming other resources. The other advantage you get with this arrangement is not having to worry about level-shifting of the GPIO pins (the Pi uses 3.3 volt TTL logic - whereas the Uno and most other Arduinos - but not all - use 5 volt TTL logic). You also protect the Pi from damage on the GPIO as well.

Also - I realize that all of the above is very brief, and may well be over your head. If it is, take it one step at a time. First just get Firmata installed on your Arduino, and learn how to use it (via a serial terminal) to control the actions of the robot (pan/tilt and movement). Then work on learning how to set up and use the Raspberry Pi (including how to hook up and use a web camera).

Then learn how to code using Node.js (tons of great tutorials out there). Once you have that, you should be able to connect to Firmata using Node.js and one of the extensions.

If you have a wireless router available, you might use an arduino with an ethernet shield to make a basic routerbot setup like below.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

First you need to list out your component. 2) Just finalise your interface and which controller your going to use 3) draw a block diagram , for interfacing 4) Creation of schematic Evey peripheral attached. 5) DO basic Interface testing , to make ensure comonent interfaced work properly 6) make algorithm. 7) If any problem, post your code and algorithm here

@maotzy, please do not cross-post. Threads merged.

zoomkat: If you have a wireless router available, you might use an arduino with an ethernet shield to make a basic routerbot setup like below.

If you have a wireless router available, and it is a model that will support OpenWRT or DD-WRT (or other open-source firmware) - you might be able to use it directly without an ethernet shield.

Some routers that can use such open firmware usually have a serial port (generally running at 3.3v TTL) on-board that can be directly connected to the Arduino RX/TX pins (plus ground); from there, it's not too difficult to begin controlling the Arduino (especially if the Arduino is running Firmata or similar software).

Some routers will have USB ports - which are usually used for hooking up USB drives (external hard drives and thumb drives) - to act as a simplified NAS device on the home network for sharing files. As such, they are effectively host controllers, and the open-source firmware can be set up to use those ports as virtual serial ports - just plug the Arduino in, and again - communicate with them via serial USB.

Sometimes you can hook up a USB hub to the port to gain more USB ports (plus extra current capability if needed); doing this would allow you to connect up a cheap web camera and other devices (like a GPS unit, or maybe a USB servo controller - just a couple of options that might be useful for the OP's needs - though most of that could be run thru the Arduino anyhow). Or you could simply use a wifi or hard-wired ethernet IP camera if you have one lying around.

On ebay is sold a cheap "travel router" called the TP Link TL-WR703N - goes for about $20.00 USD and is supported by Open WRT:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

It's got quite a lot going for it - you can hack it to add extra USB ports, add a flash thumb drive (for more storage space for firmware OS extensions), add an external antenna, etc. Depending on your wants, needs, abilities and finances, one of those coupled to an Arduino would make a really nice system that would potentially be much cheaper (and more expandable) than an ethernet or wifi shield.

If you can't afford that, you can typically find old Linksys WRT54G routers (only certain models and versions are supported by the various open-source firmware distros available - so be sure to check that before you buy) at a thrift store. I've seen them sold at such places for under $10.00 USD usually. They aren't good for home network use, but for interfacing purposes (with open firmware) they are really useful.

Earlier today I purchased a Netgear WNR2000v3 - while it doesn't have USB support, it does have plenty of memory for a lot of options, is supported by OpenWRT and DD-WRT, it has a serial port easily accessible, and while I didn't see anybody who had done it - in theory it should be possible to add an external antenna (most of the time you just need to solder on a pigtail to SMA adaptor and you're done). It was half-price Saturday, so I got it for $7.50 USD.