Suspension Data Logging

Wondering if anyone has attempted something similar and had sensors that they would recommend.
I'm looking at developing a data logging system for mountain bike suspension. The application would see stroke lengths of up to 200mm with a required resolution of approximately 1mm. The refresh rate would need to be quite high due to the high bump frequency. The sensor would also need to be quite robust due to the vibrations transmitted from riding.

At this stage I've been looking round at linear displacement sensors but am a bit of a loss as to what to go for as I've got no prior experience.
Appreciate any advice!

What's the budget?
LVDT sensors or string potentiometers are typically used for this kind of measurement but they aren't cheap.
If this is a student project your engineering department might have something that you could borrow.

If you have a workshop you could make your own low cost string potentiometer. Cheap String Potentiometer Pt 1 - YouTube

Cheers! I’d be looking at capping the cost at around $400. It could be worth asking uni as well, although I doubt they’d be all too keen on letting me borrow their kit.

jenk0s:
It could be worth asking uni as well, although I doubt they’d be all too keen on letting me borrow their kit.

Offer to give them a paper on the project.

If you are not an engineering student yourself offer the Uni the opportunity for one of their engineering students to participate in the project with you.

With some careful marketing on your part the Uni may even buy the sensors if they don’t already have them. Maybe befriend one of the engineering students and get him/her to make the approach. There are always students looking for project ideas.

…R

Good idea! Definitely worth a shot