Switch needed

I am looking for a rotary switch for my project. The switch needs to have one input and 3 outputs. I have searched online but have came up empty handed. How could the type of switch be named? 1x3? 4 position? I can't find anything that will work for me. I am hoping someone here has used something similar and can share a link.

This is for my aerator project that needs to be able to select one of 3 possible timer values. The switch will be commonly connected to gnd and pins 8, 9, and 10 will be connected to the other 3 terminals. The switch doesn't necessarily need to be rotary. It can be a toggle type. I have DPDT but the rows of terminals are not connected across by the slider.

https://www.jameco.com/z/G3SR024-R-Switch-Rotary-Shaft-Solder-Lug-25mm-10M-3-Position_101558.html

larryd:
G3SR024-R: Jameco Valuepro : Switch Rotary Shaft Solder Lug 25mm 10M 3 Position : Electromechanical

Oh man! Thanks a lot! You’re a lifesaver.

bigone5500:
The switch doesn't necessarily need to be rotary. It can be a toggle type. I have DPDT but the rows of terminals are not connected across by the slider.

A three position toggle switch would do quite well and is easier to operate though by the same token, easier to accidentally bump.

For a selection of three alternate functions, you do not need three pins on the Arduino as the third position can be indicated when neither of the two pins is pulled to ground by the switch.

I have thought about the use of a toggle. But I do not know the terminology to search for the appropriate one. I tried to use some I have here but when I attempt to do what I think should work, which is short three terminals on one side and have the 3 pins of the arduino connect to the other side, I get no continuity through the switch. The ones I have are like 2 SPDT switches in one. I need one that will show continuity from pins on either side when switched. There should be continuity across either row 1, 2, or 3 depending on the switch position. ColA will be all connected as a common gnd. Then pins 8, 9, and 10 will be connected at ColB.

ColA ColB

| | ← row 1
| |

| | ← row 2
| |

| | ← row 3
| |

Generally, a three way toggle is centre-off.

Ground to one middle pin. The pin above it to one Arduino input, the pin below to the other Arduino input, using INPUT_PULLUP mode on both inputs.

I can use that approach but it will only give me two selections. I have 3 inputs that need to be grounded only one at a time. I will look around a bot more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks.

No, the third "selection" is when neither of two is grounded. Simple as that!

Or are you not explaining it properly?

Paul__B:
No, the third "selection" is when neither of two is grounded. Simple as that!

Or are you not explaining it properly?

If no pins are grounded then the timing does not start. I think there may have to be a sketch modification for it to work as you state, but I could be wrong. I will contact the person who wrote the sketch and see what needs to be done in order for it to work that way.

OK, so I was correct.

If there are three working "states" and not intended to be any "non working" state, then clearly it is up to the secret sketch - the one you have not revealed - to determine which is which.

The sketch is no secret. It’s in the aerator thread I created. :slight_smile: