Switch on/off 400w Electronic Ballast

Hi fellas,

I am thinking how to approach a new project of controlling a 400W Electronic Ballast:

http://www.lumatek.co.uk/products/electronic-ballasts

I would like to switch on/off the ballast whenever Arduino says so :D

I don´t really know if the ballast specifications are necessary in but I provide them:

Voltage: 230V 50/60Hz Current: 1.90A Input power: 440W Output power: 420W Power factor: >0.99 Voltage range: 175~275V

What would I need to achieve this?

I´ve been reading about Solid State , Electronic and hybrid relays but I´m not really sure if they are needed ... to make a simple switch!

Thanks in advance!

any relay that can work with 230vac will work.

many ballasts just use power on/off to turn them on or off.

I would highly suggest you turn them on and have a loop that requires them to be on for at leas 30 minutes before turning off.

many on here will not help you with 230VAC as you can kill yourself if you do not know what you are doing. most believe that if you are asking, you do not have the knowledge to protect your life or the lives of others from electrocution.

we always recommend you hire an licensed, professional electrician who is versed and skilled in 230Volts.

to that understand about the technology, google arduino 230v relays and be safe ! you can share that with your professional, licensed electrician.

we always recommend you hire an licensed, professional electrician who is versed and skilled in 230Volts.

An electrician is unlikely to help you with your Arduino project. Electricians are required to know about electrical wiring and the safety regulations and building codes but they don't necessarily know anything about the electronics or the Arduino.

An electrician might be willing to wire-up the AC side of the relay if you do everything else.

DVDdoug: An electrician is unlikely to help you with your Arduino project. Electricians are required to know about electrical wiring and the safety regulations and building codes but they don't necessarily know anything about the electronics or the Arduino.

An electrician might be willing to wire-up theskyscraper AC side of the relay if you do everything else.

that is exactly the result. the guy well versed in 230volts does the wiring and safety side. the hobbyist does all the logic. that is how a power plants and control systems are done. the electricians installs the stuff. the IT guys sits behind the monitor and writes code.